Bloody Mary recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I'm pretty sure it does not want to be warm; not icy cold like a martini or margarita either though. Just nicely chilled like a white wine I'd have thought. My sister's coming down from Scotland to visit later this year and is a bit of a BM aficionada; I foresee a few interesting brunches doing comparisons :-)

Will you try my recipe? I'd be interested if you tell me the ideal temp to drink a BM as agreed by you and your sister; can you experiment with a fast thermometer? I like my BM's with juice from the fridge but it doesn't seem very cold when served. I will check the temp of my next one. White wine from our fridge is way too cold and I have to warm it in my hand. I'm using a dry fino but any sherry seems good!

Sadly, I turned out not to have any dry sherry ! The only sherry in the fridge was a Pedro Ximenez which is like concentrated sultanas and would not be at all right. :-(
Also did not have the Tabasco, but substituted with a spoonful of the pickling liquor from a jar of red jalapeno peppers, which gave a nice heat plus a little vinegary depth. Usually I would splash in some Lea&Perrins but this time I didn't.

Temperature wise: tetrapak of Tomato Juice in fridge bottom compartment, ditto bottle of Stoli vodka. Put a dozen small ice cubes in cocktail shaker, add 6 oz vodka, the jalapeno liquor, and about a third of a pack of TJ, swoosh gently (don't shake!), tip into 3 glasses, garnish with a lime wedge and with bit of celery from the centre of the head (*), twist of black pepper, serve outside on a hot afternoon. Didn't have a thermometer on it but it beaded the glasses with a bit of condensation.

Seemed pretty fine to us. On reflection, could have done with a pinch of salt. And:
(*) the stick of celery seems a bit of a nuisance and I can't say improved it for me.

Latest posts

Back