Blow-off setup ok?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg B

Reaction score
Hello all

I've just moved from an FV in a tub of water with an aquarium heater to a fridge with a tube heater.

I kicked off a brew yesterday but as there was not enough space above the FV in the fridge to accommodate the usual airlock I use, I read up and opted for a blow-off tube instead.

Quick question, looking at the photo, have I set it up OK?

I cut the bottom of the airlock off, slipped a syphon tube over the top, pushed it into the lid of the FV, with the other end in a plastic water bottle filled to the red line. There's some blutak around the tube on the bottle lid.

IMG_20210116_160759.jpg

There's definitely some activity and if I open the fridge door I can see regular constant bubbling in the water bottle.

Have I cocked anything up?

Cheers

Greg

That looks fine to me the only thing i can see that may be a problem is it looks like you have sealed the pipe in the screw top on the bottle, you need to leave a small gap for the CO2 to escape.

That looks fine to me the only thing i can see that may be a problem is it looks like you have sealed the pipe in the screw top on the bottle, you need to leave a small gap for the CO2 to escape.
Thanks. That makes sense.

I've also just realised that the liquid in the bottle is just water from the hot tap. I think it should've been something a little more sanitised. Should I add some suresan to it or replace with booked water?

The fluid shouldn't get up the tube into your brew so it's not going to infect it, I wouldn't worry.

Looks good. Personally I use Star San in the bottle, I have had the water suck up the blow off when cold crashing or lowering the temperature significantly once CO2 production has stopped.

Latest posts

Back