Boel iTap troubleshooting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning iTap users.

Had a first go with my new iTap yesterday and have to say I was disappointed with the amount of foaming. Most online reviews/ experiences on here suggest the product works very well.

So far I have tried using same gas supply for both the CO2 on the tap and the keg and also turning dispense pressure right down.

Any suggestions? Did anyone else have foaming issues - how did you solve them?

Cheers

There are a lot of good videos on you tube on how to set up and use.

I have never had any foaming issues with the itap and find it works really well. In my set up, Co2 is at my carbonation/serving pressure (15 psi). I am running 3/16 line from my keg to the itap rather than the suggested. Once I have purged my bottle with Co2 and pressurised I start my fill. At this point the pressure release is closed. Gradually and slowly open that when fill starts to slow. You should be able to fill with zero foaming in this way.

I'm wondering if I have been opening the pressure release too impatiently. Gonna give it some more trial and error later.

The most important thing I’ve learned is that once you’ve purged the bottle, FULLY pressurize it before opening the tap. This make a huge difference for me as most of the foam I’ve seen has been generated right after I open the tap.

Have any of you tried using HIGHER pressure during bottling than is used for dispensing? I’m thinking that this could keep the CO2 in solution throughout the bottling process, but maybe it’s just the changes in pressure that matter. Just a thought….

If the pressure is balanced in the bottle with the keg, ie beer going in displaces gas out of bottle then no foaming should occur. A cold bottle, chilled in the fridge and cold beer makes the gas less likely to come out as well. As the beer warms the gas has less tendency to stay in solution hence make foam.
Removing the bottle there is a sudden pressure change and bubbles will rise, I normally let the foam rise to the top of the bottle and then put the cap on and fix it on with the capper.

With my cheap counter pressure filler I still need to fill very slowly. Also with counter pressure filler you don't need 3/16 line - that is to create a restriction to prevent foaming when you're venting your beer from keg pressure to atmospheric pressure with a service tap. I wouldn't be surprised if that restriction is causing a pressure drop and therefore causing foaming. I just run 5/8 beer line with my counter pressure filler with no foaming at all so long as I don't fill too fast.

Also do it cold. As cold as you can. And also allow a second after purging to allow the pressure in the bottle to built back up...sometimes if I'm impatient and go straight from purging to running the beer through I get immediate foaming as the pressure in the bottle hasn't built upto full pressure following the purge, so I wait a second after purging to ensure the pressure int he bottle has been restored.

Latest posts

Back