Bohemian Pilsner yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not made a lager/pilsner yet. My son keeps going on at me to make a bohemian pilsner. I prefer using dried yeast. Any recommendations?

I honestly dont think you can go far wrong with any of the oft mentioned forum favourites. As I said on another thread I am going through them all atm. I have tried CML Hell, Diamond, W34/70 and S-189, which is currently conditioning (having had a brief foray into the world of solids) and is showing serious potential, however at this exact moment, W34/70 would be my front runner.

Edit to add there is a Bohemian Lager dry yeast, Mangrove Jacks maybe..... I used that a long time ago but cant say too much as my lager game wasn't what it is now with proper temp control.

I recently made a one with MJ M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast. I guess my only criticism is that it doesn't seem to be clumping at the bottom of bottles very well, maybe that will improve with time but it makes it quite hard to pour clear.

I used MJ M84 back in December 2021. According to my notes there were no problems during the fermentation. At the end of fermentation there was a bit of a sulphur smell which disappeared after about a week. I went for "bottle first, then leave to lager" which I won't do again as this yeast doesn't stick very well to the bottom of the bottles. Next time I'll leave it to lager for a month then bottle. I found it drinkable after 6 weeks of lagering but much better after 8 weeks, this is obviously a very subjective observation.

Latest posts

Back