Boil kettle chimney

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve123

Reaction score
I currently brew in the garage using electric, I have no windows in the garage and only have the garage door for ventilation.
My HLT and mash tun is at one side of the garage and the BK near the garage door, I don’t have pumps at the moment but have ordered some. I want to keep everything together but at the end away from the garage door.

I’m thinking of attaching a 90 degree flue to the BK lid run and using aluminium trunking for extractors fans on this and putting the end in a 60 L plastic drum with cold water, and as it heats up drain some of the water and add cold water back to it ,

What’s people’s thoughts on this?

Had a look at his set up and similar to what I had in mind, hadn’t given much thought to boil over so will have to consider that more.

Any thoughts of the steam passing into cold water water rather than outside

If you have the end of the duct in a water bath there will be no airflow and expanding volume of water vapour filled air will most likely try to escape from the gap between your kettle and lid or find other ways out. It you'll get some spluttery forcing their way through the water and a lot of splashing.

However, if you can somehow have the ducting pass through a cold water bath with the end open to the air, it would condense some of the water vapour and remove it from the air passing through the duct. The problem then becomes how to remove condensate water from the duct.

A local micro uses a wooden lid. This has a 90 degree soil fitting in it with a straight piece into a t piece facing 90 degrees down one end has more straight tubing running down to the floor/drain. The other end is blanked but has a small hole witch a standard hose pipe garden sprayer fitting into which blasts cold water down suppressing the steam and smell

Ah I didn’t realise this would be a problem I assumed the steam would pass into the water and just heat the water.

Maybe I need to look at longer ducting and run it a few metres to the garage door
If you have the end of the duct in a water bath there will be no airflow and expanding volume of water vapour filled air will most likely try to escape from the gap between your kettle and lid or find other ways out. It you'll get some spluttery forcing their way through the water and a lot of splashing.

However, if you can somehow have the ducting pass through a cold water bath with the end open to the air, it would condense some of the water vapour and remove it from the air passing through the duct. The problem then becomes how to remove condensate water from the duct.

A local micro uses a wooden lid. This has a 90 degree soil fitting in it with a straight piece into a t piece facing 90 degrees down one end has more straight tubing running down to the floor/drain. The other end is blanked but has a small hole witch a standard hose pipe garden sprayer fitting into which blasts cold water down suppressing the steam and smell

Sounds a good idea we already use a hugh amount of water whilst brewing not sure I want to use even more

Screengrab of the start of the article (with schematic):

Screenshot_20181002-164129.jpg

I've tried ducting and found condensate to be a problem. In the end I've put a decent size fan on the wall blowing air across the top of my Braumeister towards the open door, works a treat.
Brian

Latest posts

Back