boil off gravity correction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes boiling off/evaporating water out of the wort will concentrate it. I.E the gravity will be higher so that will increase the alcohol and by concentrating the wort the beer will taste stronger so will the bitterness and generally more body to it too

Yes boiling off/evaporating water out of the wort will concentrate it. I.E the gravity will be higher so that will increase the alcohol and by concentrating the wort the beer will taste stronger so will the bitterness and generally more body to it too
But the aroma of the hops etc… will remain ok?

Yes as long as you keep the boil times for them constant so if you are doing 30 mins for one just keep it the same

Hi Scott
If you have a recipe that says you are boiling for lets say 60 mins and the hop additions are at 60 mins and 30 mins and 10 mins as long as you stop the boil after 60 mins they willbe as per your recipe'
If you boil off for longer than the 60 mins this will obviously evaporate more water and concentrate the wort also the hop additions will then become longer which will alter the strength of the hop flavour and increase the bitterness.
If you do decide to do this you would need to remove the hops after the 60 minute boil to keep the recipe/hops constant as it should be

Hi Scott
If you have a recipe that says you are boiling for lets say 60 mins and the hop additions are at 60 mins and 30 mins and 10 mins as long as you stop the boil after 60 mins they willbe as per your recipe'
If you boil off for longer than the 60 mins this will obviously evaporate more water and concentrate the wort also the hop additions will then become longer which will alter the strength of the hop flavour and increase the bitterness.
If you do decide to do this you would need to remove the hops after the 60 minute boil to keep the recipe/hops constant as it should be
Ooh yes I follow you now. That makes perfect sense now. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back