Boiled water amount for kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrin_Abara

Reaction score
Some kits say 3 litres of boiled to add but some say more, when I’ve followed the instructions on the ones that say more, I find that I’m way off the pitching temp. Has anyone else found this?

When I did kits in the past I only used enough boiled water to get the wort out of the cans (with the help is a sterile long spoon). Letting the cans sit in hot water for 10+ mins before opening helps alot. If you use quite a bit of boiled water, use some very cold from the fridge to adjust. I would also recommend treating cold water with a campden tablet, I do this now for my AG brews but think my previous kit brews suffered from non-treated water. Good luck. 🍻

I think I’ll just stick to full grain in the future. I’ve only done the occasional kit since moving on. The last one I did I got impatient and pitched the yeast too warm, causing a funny twang. I’ll look into water treatment as well 👍

I heat the cans in hot water, then add 2 litres of hot water to my Fermentation Bucket. I add the extract and fermentable and then use an extra litre of hot water to rinse out the cans or pouches and add that. Give it a good stir, add cold water to bring it up to 20 litres. I give it a a really good stir everytime I add 5 litres of water. I then check the temperature and either add hot or cold water until I reach 23 litres at 22 degrees C. So far so good.

Last edited:
I found exactly the same. Using around 3 litres of boiling water meant that I sometimes then had to wait a few hours for the FV to cool down before I could pitch the yeast. I now ignore the instructions and use just enough water to dissolve the malt extract/spraymalt and then top up with cold. I did exactly this yesterday with my latest brew and the temperature was showing at around 22C so I was able to pitch straight away.

Latest posts

Back