Boiling in one go or topping up???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeboy

Reaction score
I am currently extract brewing and the kits that i am getting usually say to boil a smaller ammount (think its about 5l, cant remember exactly) and then at the end of the boil top this up with cold water to make 19L before cooling and pitching my yeast.
I have a big 44 qrt boiling pot that i can easily boil 23L+ of water which im using for extract brewing. So to get 19L i usually boil 23L and add in extract, hops etc, then cool and pitch yeast.
My question is this, is it preferable to boil the wort in one go or should i be following the instructuions and topping up with cold water at the end?? Does it make any difference???

From what I've read, hop extraction (bitterness, flavour etc) is much more efficient in a full volume boil, so for this reason alone its worth using the full volume.
The main drawback to full volume, is chilling time, do you have an immersion chiller or similar?

Thanks for your quick reply. I do have a wort chiller so im able to get down to 20C for fermenting in about 15 minutes.
I thought it would be best to do a full boil as it seems to make sense but wasnt 100% sure.

Latest posts

Back