Boiling Kettel size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
I was just looking at boiling kettles and thought this would be a good one too buy

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/ss-brewtech-pot.html

But I just realised most of the recipes I am looking at in my book require boiling 27 litres of wort. Hence it might mean me making my own boiling pot, either with there keg I have, which is I reckon is about 50 ltrs....really don't want to be lifting that to decant! Or buying a thick based pot and drilling it.
If I go with the latter does anyone know of any reasonably priced pots ....oh and with decent handles.

Or I suppose at a push I could cut the keg down to a smaller size and bolt some handles to it.

Cheers

Pete

To misquote the velvet underground, "Shiny, Shiny...Shiny peice of metal"

That's perfect for me! Now I just need £110

That would be great for up to about 12L full boils or a 23L Maxi BIAB!

To misquote the velvet underground, "Shiny, Shiny...Shiny peice of metal"

That's perfect for me! Now I just need ��£110

That would be great for up to about 12L full boils or a 23L Maxi BIAB!

I have to agree ''shiny ''is always good:clap: most likely why my other pastime is making knives.

I also saw this which looks the dogs! Yeah I know it not the cheapest but it will be brewing beer well after they nail the lid on mm coffin :) and it does the larger batches.
I think I have to accept I am a tight Northern Git, I have done pretty good with savings so far when improving my gear to all grain so unless sometime better comes along it will be on the cards. Further more the seller in Salisbury failed to answer my email nor did the returning my phone call....so lets see it these guys do.

Totally losing the will to live today trying to find a bigger boil pot than the one above that has handles which can actually be used to lift the pot when it is filled, of a decent quality and also a tri clad base.

I just found this which I would have to stick a tap in myself but my question is would a 30.3 litre pot be big enough for 27ltr batches when taking boil over into account?

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-8-gallon

Cheers

Totally losing the will to live today trying to find a bigger boil pot than the one above that has handles which can actually be used to lift the pot when it is filled, of a decent quality and also a tri clad base.

I just found this which I would have to stick a tap in myself but my question is would a 30.3 litre pot be big enough for 27ltr batches when taking boil over into account?

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-8-gallon

Cheers

I would not trust a bit over 10% overhead. 25 liter batches would be fine, 27 would make me nervous. That's a LOT of hot sugarwater.

This one looks nice too: http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/brew-kettles/191-heavy-duty-30-litre-mash-tun.html

Yes 50l would be good. I have a 32l pot which struggles to get me 23l after boil off and all the hops I throw in. A lot of people on here have them and they get good feedback. I bought a cheap one 32l for about £45 but it's thin and the bottom buckled in an instant when I turned on the hob without any water in. Had to hammer it flat again. Does the job though and I do lift it but never when hot in case the handles drop off.

The cheapo Peco will happily boil 27 litres. My recipe last weekend called for 30 litres total liquor of which I saved back 5 for a sparge so the grain in the BIAB bag would not overflow the unit. Pre-boil volume after much squeezing was 28 litres. Post boil was 24.5 litres and I transferred 23 litres into the fermenter after squeezing the bejeezus out of the hop bag. With Citra and Amarillo in there I wasn't about to lose one drop!

I would not trust a bit over 10% overhead. 25 liter batches would be fine, 27 would make me nervous. That's a LOT of hot sugarwater.

This one looks nice too: http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/brew-kettles/191-heavy-duty-30-litre-mash-tun.html

Apologies I didn't see the link this afternoon. Between a rock and a hard place now as both you and BeerCat have found two stonking pots, really not sure which to buy now. Might be the one you found that's 36 litres so long as that's enough of a margin for spillages and boil over. At the end of the day safety comes before anything else.

Cheers to all so far for helping me.

buy cheaper SS catering stock pots direct from the german suppliers who sell on ebay.fr, search for "Marmite inox 50l" which is sort of 'stockpot Stainless steel 50l'

I bought my pots and thermopots from these folk who i found via the above method. [email protected]

An Email query about UK delivery will result in a off ebay quote which if you accept will generate a paypal invoice (with paypal protection) the price offered will probably be lower than the ebay.fr price as no ebay fees ;)

Pots arrive via courier a few days after payment is sent, best to inspect before signing for delivery as couriers can chuck em about,
live with wee dings you can push out, but return any with creases imho.. returns are handled OK they just want the original back before sending a replacement/money back which can take a week or so..

However Unless you spend a lot of money on a expensive brand pot DONT attempt to lift a full pot by its handles, the handles on the catering equipment are not desingned for lifting other than when empty.

btw with the right tools, (qmax punches) popping out holes for elements. taps, etc is a doddle.. dont let that put you off.. so unless you can borrow punches from a friendly local brewer consider adding a £20+ tooling cost to the build for a couple of punches ;)

I find my 32 litre plastic bins to be a fine size for 23L into the fermenter, with a Pre-Boil volume of 28 litres, that said when I do finally upgrade to some stainless further down the line I will go for 50L pots to allow for some expansion.

But to echo some other comments I would never try and lift that much fluid in the pot, and even less so if it was hot.

I find my 32 litre plastic bins to be a fine size for 23L into the fermenter, with a Pre-Boil volume of 28 litres, that said when I do finally upgrade to some stainless further down the line I will go for 50L pots to allow for some expansion.

But to echo some other comments I would never try and lift that much fluid in the pot, and even less so if it was hot.

I cant use plastic as will be using propane. I have contacted Brew UK who are near me, well they cannot be bothered to reply to my email or answer phone message I left them so they are out of the equation. I also email Brew Builder yesterday, no reply so far and no contact number. I have to wonder how these folk do business.

I cant use plastic as will be using propane.

Yeah I can't see them surviving much of a flame :-)

But as a guide to volumes it still works.

I have to wonder how these folk do business.

I guess it's a funny time of year for some of the smaller businesses, either maxed out with orders you do have and no one to back fill the queries, or shut up shop early for a break.

Either way, as a consumer it can be frustrating.

Back