Bonfire Toffee Stout Problem

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Justin9

Reaction score
Hi,
So I started this today as per the instructions, the OG has come out at 1040...can't be right can it if its suppose to be 6.2% and the SG is meant to be 1012?

phildo79

Reaction score
Nope, that is a good bit off. How are you measuring the gravity? Temperature will throw off a gravity reading if using a hydrometer. So if your wort is hot, use an online calculator to determine the correct gravity.

Clint

Forum jester...๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ†
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another one to look out for is the dilution rate...I once automatically made a kit up to 40 pints when it should have been around 32...

Justin9

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't lift the lid again but I've double checked now its cooler and it's still reading the same, and it is a 40 pint kit....not doing very well with this brewing lark at the moment ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•

Justin9

Reaction score
Was no sugar needed it was a double pouch kit, ive just double checked the instructions as well...I'm baffled

Clint

Forum jester...๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ†
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the Festival kit? I googled it and it said its a 32 pinter...

Clint

Forum jester...๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ†
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can find two versions on a search...the 40 pint is 4.3% and the 32 pint is 6.2%.

Justin9

Reaction score
I can find two versions on a search...the 40 pint is 4.3% and the 32 pint is 6.2%.
Thats what it is!
I ordered the 32 pint one (deffo did its in my emails) but checked the recycling bin and they sent 40 pint one....so disappointed that I've not got the 32 pint but also relieved that I haven't messed it up.....yet!
Thanks...once again.....๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

White Rose Al

White Rose Al
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed matey, mine was the 40 pint kit and after brewing to instructiont both ispindle and hydrometer came in at OG 1.045.

This finished way short of the 6% ABV, landed about 4.5%.

Not the biggest fan, far too smoked with the oak chips and the toffee is simply too sweet for a stout.

Been in the Corny for 3.5 weeks now, will have another taste this weekend

20211008_192412.jpg

AnimatedGIF

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're taking your hydrometer reading from the top of the bucket, is it possible you didn't stir well enough? I've had that before where the wort is more 'sugary' at the bottom becuase I didn't adequately stir the hot water (6 pints of it I think) with the liquid malt extract before adding the rest of the cold water then again failing to adequately stir. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a lower sg than expected due to taking the reading from the top of the bucket.

Last edited:

White Rose Al

White Rose Al
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're taking your hydrometer reading from tue top of yhe bucket, is it possible you didn't stir well enough? I've had that before where the wort is more 'sugary' at the bottom becuase I didn't adequately stir the hot water (6 pints of it I think) with the liquid malt extract before adding the rest of the cold water then again failing to adequately stir. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a lower sg than expected due to taking the reading from the top of the bucket.
I am pretty good at taking from low down but I think the issue here is similar to posted above. Mine was 40 pint kit and I am sure it said 6% on packaging but website says 4%

Latest posts