Bonfire Toffee Stout Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin9

Reaction score
Hi,
So I started this today as per the instructions, the OG has come out at 1040...can't be right can it if its suppose to be 6.2% and the SG is meant to be 1012?

Nope, that is a good bit off. How are you measuring the gravity? Temperature will throw off a gravity reading if using a hydrometer. So if your wort is hot, use an online calculator to determine the correct gravity.

I know I shouldn't lift the lid again but I've double checked now its cooler and it's still reading the same, and it is a 40 pint kit....not doing very well with this brewing lark at the moment 😒😕

Was no sugar needed it was a double pouch kit, ive just double checked the instructions as well...I'm baffled

I can find two versions on a search...the 40 pint is 4.3% and the 32 pint is 6.2%.
Thats what it is!
I ordered the 32 pint one (deffo did its in my emails) but checked the recycling bin and they sent 40 pint one....so disappointed that I've not got the 32 pint but also relieved that I haven't messed it up.....yet!
Thanks...once again.....😁😁

Agreed matey, mine was the 40 pint kit and after brewing to instructiont both ispindle and hydrometer came in at OG 1.045.

This finished way short of the 6% ABV, landed about 4.5%.

Not the biggest fan, far too smoked with the oak chips and the toffee is simply too sweet for a stout.

Been in the Corny for 3.5 weeks now, will have another taste this weekend

20211008_192412.jpg

If you're taking your hydrometer reading from the top of the bucket, is it possible you didn't stir well enough? I've had that before where the wort is more 'sugary' at the bottom becuase I didn't adequately stir the hot water (6 pints of it I think) with the liquid malt extract before adding the rest of the cold water then again failing to adequately stir. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a lower sg than expected due to taking the reading from the top of the bucket.

Last edited:
If you're taking your hydrometer reading from tue top of yhe bucket, is it possible you didn't stir well enough? I've had that before where the wort is more 'sugary' at the bottom becuase I didn't adequately stir the hot water (6 pints of it I think) with the liquid malt extract before adding the rest of the cold water then again failing to adequately stir. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a lower sg than expected due to taking the reading from the top of the bucket.

I am pretty good at taking from low down but I think the issue here is similar to posted above. Mine was 40 pint kit and I am sure it said 6% on packaging but website says 4%

I fell foul of the same thing with this kit. I am used to making kits and rarely read the instructions as it's nearly always the same procedure, and it was for this kit except the addition of oak chips, or so I thought. So, when it came to topping the kit up with water I just glanced at the box for how many pints it is suppose to make. It said "makes 40 pints" so I topped it up to around 19/20 litres which is what I normally do as I use Cornelius Kegs and that is normally about right (plus sometimes enough to fill a bottle or two), and I also prefer to make most kits "short".

However, when measuring the SG it was about 1.050, so well short of the 1.058 it would need to be around for a specified expected FG 1.012 to give the stated 6%. It turns out that the "makes 40 pints" on the box is a printing mistake and it should be "makes 30 pints" or "makes 17L". On further investigation the enclosed instructions do actually state that it should only be topped up to 17L (it shows a table for different kits and the capacities, I didn't even read this first time around - D'oh!). Any newer stock have the box altered to reflect this, and that's why there may seem like there are two kits, but there are not, its the same kit.

Hope that helps unravel the mystery. :cool:

Not sure how folk got on with this kit but after a few weeks of conditioning I was really disappointed with the final result.

For me the balance is totally off, the ash nose and the almost fake toffee taste make for a poor beer.

I saw the partridge brothers review after I brewed it and their conclusion was the same as mine.

I gave it a couple of weeks more but no better, so much so that I tipped it!

On to the next brew.

Not sure how folk got on with this kit but after a few weeks of conditioning I was really disappointed with the final result.
For me the balance is totally off, the ash nose and the almost fake toffee taste make for a poor beer.
I gave it a couple of weeks more but no better, so much so that I tipped it!

I have to agree, although my attempt was somewhat more dilute than it should have been, but I also found the balance poor too. For me it was too woody and I didn't get much sweetness, it was all Bonfire and no Toffee! There was also very little else going on, particularly for a stout.

I thought it might be nice to try the kit made to the correct quantity (i.e. 30 pints rather than the 35 I accidently made it too) and I'd only use half the sachet of oak chips (that would be plenty), and also I'd add in some hops to broaden the flavour and maybe some lactose to increase the sweetness. But on reflection, and based on the views of those who have made it properly, I don't think I'll bother, I'll try something else. :-)

I have to agree, although my attempt was somewhat more dilute than it should have been, but I also found the balance poor too. For me it was too woody and I didn't get much sweetness, it was all Bonfire and no Toffee! There was also very little else going on, particularly for a stout.

I thought it might be nice to try the kit made to the correct quantity (i.e. 30 pints rather than the 35 I accidently made it too) and I'd only use half the sachet of oak chips (that would be plenty), and also I'd add in some hops to broaden the flavour and maybe some lactose to increase the sweetness. But on reflection, and based on the views of those who have made it properly, I don't think I'll bother, I'll try something else. :-)

I brewed short for 19L Corny as I now do with most kits, so brewed to 21L.

No better matey, a very poor kit IMHO

Back