Boots beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a few old Boots items in my brewing cupboard - Trial Jars, Hydrometers, and yes - one of their "Torture Device" Cappers.
Someone left a really weird device in the shop last year - like a huge turkey baster, designed to house a hydrometer. Scale was on the baster body.
Sadly the actual hydrometer is missing...

I had a Boots Beer kit Stout dated 1985 found it a few mths ago all I did was buy new yeast fermented well and drinkable Over 30 years old!!!!:beer6:

Around 1988 (aged 15) I'd been given a Boots make your own wine kit for Christmas, which I loved because I like learning things and finding things out - even though I didn't drink at the time. The wine was passable according to my limited/non existent experience.

I was keen to try beer just to learn more but didn't fancy buying all the equipment. Then, the Sun newspaper ran a competition to win a Boots Home Beer kit, 40 glass bottles and all. All you had to do was write in.

To my amazement, I "won" - what's the chances of that? Well quite high as it turned out, as I had to travel to a specific store in Mansfield to pick it up (quite a trip for a kid from a council estate) - and on arriving at the store, there were great mountains of boxes all labelled "Sun Homebrew winners kit".

Even then I was savvy enough to work out this was a warehouse clearance that had been cleverly disguised as a competition. I bet they didn't even have enough entrants to cover the stock they were shifting.

Ah well gift horses and all that. I carted the kit home, did the brew, learnt nothing, thought that it tasted of brown sludge (and with zero experience of beer, it put me off beer for many many years). Bottles (full) stayed in my mum's shed until she moved out in 2002. For a laugh, I tried one - it had certainly not matured.

Happy memories but it took a lot of years before I came back to try again.

I still have, and use sometimes, one of their wine filters (the white UFO in the pic), including some pads for it. I bought it then stopped making mead for a while, so it was all still sealed up right up until I returned to the hobby last year. It's partly why my meads are so clear. lol

Boots got me into brewing first with wine then beer from around '83. I brewed occasionally for a long time but decided around 2011 to brew all the time for home drinking. Still doing it.
I still use a boots keg. It's good and just needed a new cap when the old Sodastream cylinders went AWOL.
Thankyou Boots.

Happy Memories indeed!

In a fit of nostalgia I went to Boots.com to see if they still sold anything in the Homebrew line. If they do, I couldn't find it, but I did find this one ...

http://www.boots.com/craft-beer-10235410

For £74 you get 8 x 330ml bottles or cans of craft beer each month, for three months. (Oh, and a copy of that months "Ferment - the UK's No,1 craft beer magazine".)

I'm no mathematician but I think that works out at £9.34 a litre.:wave:Personally I would sooner buy £74 worth of malt, hops and yeast, but if anyone is interested there's the link!:gulp:

PS

Try searching the Boots site for "hops", it's worth the education if you aren't a young father. If you are then you stand the chance of entering a world of pain with the prices!

e.g. Sixty quid for a bag to put the kids nappies in that is described as a "must have". Yeah, that'll be right!:wave:

I'm still 'ere. The 1986 - 87 booklet is 32 pages! If anybody is up for scanning and uploading I'll post it to ya - PM me :-)
Woohoo! Really excited for it. When we were kids we had a load of old catalogues and Argos catalogues and used to play a game where we'd turn to random pages and you had to pick what you wanted - the twist was even if it was a page of something awful you still had to pick so you might end up with a Ronson lighter in an onyx plinth. My mate worked out how to always turn to the men's underwear section which wasn't remotely suspicious at the time as we were still so young we even thought the women's underwear pages where so booooring.

I want to play that again with this brochure. If it's not my turn first and we hit the "Twin Lever Crown Corker" page I'm going home for my tea.

PM as soon as I work out where I do it. Thanks so much, mate.

Woohoo! Really excited for it. When we were kids we had a load of old catalogues and Argos catalogues and used to play a game where we'd turn to random pages and you had to pick what you wanted - the twist was even if it was a page of something awful you still had to pick so you might end up with a Ronson lighter in an onyx plinth. My mate worked out how to always turn to the men's underwear section which wasn't remotely suspicious at the time as we were still so young we even thought the women's underwear pages where so booooring.

I want to play that again with this brochure. If it's not my turn first and we hit the "Twin Lever Crown Corker" page I'm going home for my tea.

PM as soon as I work out where I do it. Thanks so much, mate.

If you find you cant find somewhere to scan baggy's boots catalogue, I can quite easily do it at work. I'd just need to work out how to upload it to the forum. But I can ask chippy about that as he's good at that kind of thing

I have this book its been in the family since I was a child.
WP_20180213_006.jpg

I find it odd that everyone seems to be dissing Boots beer kits. I used to use them in the 80s and they were a revelation after previous kits I'd made. The stout especially was really good. Obviously not as good as we make nowadays with AG but actually very good bearing in mind how **** pub beer was generally in those days. If it wasn't for Boots I doubt I'd still be homebrewing. Still using my crown corker which by all accounts is infinitely better than the 2 lever jobs you can buy these days.

It looks like Morrisons have also dropped homebrew. I used to see a display in our local shop but never paid it much attention since I wasn't brewing kits.

Remember how the beer kits came in 3 quality bands... budget, regular and special? The 'special' ones came in a black tin with gold ( or yellow? ) writing and made a big deal about how they include 'genuine brewers yeast which enables you to make beer of the very finest quality, at home'. What can I say except "lol"?

It was the black tins that I used to use and the ingredients were entirely LME and hop extract rather than the budget tins which were mostly sugar solutions...

I find it odd that everyone seems to be dissing Boots beer kits. I used to use them in the 80s and they were a revelation after previous kits I'd made. The stout especially was really good. Obviously not as good as we make nowadays with AG but actually very good bearing in mind how **** pub beer was generally in those days. If it wasn't for Boots I doubt I'd still be homebrewing. Still using my crown corker which by all accounts is infinitely better than the 2 lever jobs you can buy these days.

I still have the hand crown corker.
And the boots fermenting bucket with tap in the first photo posted :)
Probably other stuff too.

Latest posts

Back