Boots Homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got loads of old Boots gear - mostly passed down from my late father.
Got a really weird hydrometer-like contraption at work that a customer brought in. Looks like a huge turkey baster, with a (sadly missing) hydrometer inside. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow...
I remember them!!
Sure I had one, but must have got thrown out years ago, wish I had kept it now. It was a hydrometer and syphon in one, so you could draw a sample off, direct into itself to take a reading if memory serves me.

Got loads of old Boots gear - mostly passed down from my late father.
Got a really weird hydrometer-like contraption at work that a customer brought in. Looks like a huge turkey baster, with a (sadly missing) hydrometer inside. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow...
Something like this???
5a7a1031a4dcfd7f46f038ba.jpeg

That's the one! Although sadly missing the actual hydrometer, and the little nippley (ooo-err!, mrs) bit on the bottom (ooo-err again!) end.
Looking at your picture, it makes sense. I've got loads of different hydrometers at work, so I'll have a little play next time I put a brew on...

That's the one! Although sadly missing the actual hydrometer, and the little nippley (ooo-err!, mrs) bit on the bottom (ooo-err again!) end.
Looking at your picture, it makes sense. I've got loads of different hydrometers at work, so I'll have a little play next time I put a brew on...
It's never the same when you loose your nippley bit 😁😁

Here we go then.
Boots fermentation bin, wine fermentation barrel & old plastic air lock still in use.
Sorry they don't say boots on the side of them as that got scrubbed off years agoView attachment 38029

Same bin as mine by the looks.
And the wide shoulder fermenter.
Although mine is wrapped in a cover so I don't want to disturb it 😁

The glass airlocks people have posted are nostalgic.
A lad at work was asking about my home brew last week.
He told me his father in law passed away last year.
He had 12 demijohns with those airlocks in a cupboard.
Full of wine from the 80's he said it tasted like port and he took them all to the skip site ffs 🙄😳☹️

Hi nidger.
When my dad died i had to dispose of all his wines and equipment,It was astonishing how much booze there was for a man i never once seen drunk in his life.
BTW i did see my Mother shall we say seven sheets to the wind on Pernod once.

Started brewing in 84, had all Boots gear, but got rid of it when i had a lapse in brewing around 92. I still had a glass sample jar from Boots up until about 6 months ago until it fell out of my brew cupboard, and smashed i was gutted. The hardware was good, but the kits were *****. My next door neighbour used to do the Boots bitter with 2 bags of Tate & Lyle thrown in, and he would drink it straight from the fermenting bin. He's not around anymore. asad1

A couple of books from back in the day. The Dave line book I inherited from dad. Purchased the Berry book yonks ago. Some good recipes in them, but a little dated.

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_230635406_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201222_230635406_HDR.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 77
got and use the glass air locks as shown above also a hydrometer (made in Edinburgh). Ironically the plastic tube it came in to protect it has disintegrated! Also got the corker that looks a bit like a pepper grinder (still works)

Back