Boots metal pressure barrel seals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Watson

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve just started brewing at home. My dad used to do it 30 years ago and I remember him using the old metal boots barrels, even remember buying him one as a kid from a car boot after they stopped producing them.

Anyway for sentimentality reasons I picked one up as a second pb from eBay. But it’s losing pressure.

Just wondered what seals it takes as I went to my local home brew shop and they just said they don’t make stuff for it anymore. Can I get a different lid to fit? It takes co2 bulbs but loses all pressure after an hour. It isn’t leaking from the tap and big o ring seems in tact. Main weak point seems to be where the co2 bulb unit attaches to the handle if you know what I’m talking about?

Wondered if I could just change the whole lid for something more modern that takes larger co2 canisters? Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Its definitely not 2", its at least 4 maybe 6", but will the thread type fit if i just buy a same size lid?

If you have bought a decades old PB the first thing I would be concerned about is the ability of the pressure relief device to work properly. So in addition to getting the seals to do their job and getting gas in I would check that out.
Next if you can't sort out the CO2 injection you can always gas up using priming sugar alone, thats what I do.
And if you get it to hold pressure I would fill it with water, gas up and check that the tap doesn't drip, before you fill it with beer
Finally if all else fails you have an additional FV.

If you have bought a decades old PB the first thing I would be concerned about is the ability of the pressure relief device to work properly. So in addition to getting the seals to do their job and getting gas in I would check that out.
Next if you can't sort out the CO2 injection you can always gas up using priming sugar alone, thats what I do.
And if you get it to hold pressure I would fill it with water, gas up and check that the tap doesn't drip, before you fill it with beer
Finally if all else fails you have an additional FV.
Last 2 times i tried toi use kegs they leaked. I did not tighten the tap with a spanner and once pressure built up beer came out of the tap. Like you say its a very good idea to test them first. I should of known better!

Hi. Thanks, I’ve already done a brew in this barrel it was just very flat, yeah I used priming sugar, but it had barely any pressure, so I added a co2 bulb and it had pressure for maybe 3 pints (none if left overnight) tap doesn’t drip though and pressure relief thingy seems to work ok. But now I’ve snapped the part of the co2 injection device I’m gonna need a new lid or a new unit to screw into it.

Hi. Thanks, I’ve already done a brew in this barrel it was just very flat, yeah I used priming sugar, but it had barely any pressure, so I added a co2 bulb and it had pressure for maybe 3 pints (none if left overnight) tap doesn’t drip though and pressure relief thingy seems to work ok. But now I’ve snapped the part of the co2 injection device I’m gonna need a new lid or a new unit to screw into it.
Sounds very much like something is leaking, a seal somewhere, or even the PB itself. Although not strictly relevant there are a few tips in link below which might be useful. Since it must be quite old I would be changing all the seals if they are still available or at least clean them up. And as @BeerCat suggested I think soapy water is your best friend at present, assuming you can get some gas into the PB to test it.
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel

Latest posts

Back