Bored of NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have never drunk one, they may be fantastic but all the hype just turns me off ever trying one unless anyone can convince me of what I am missing.

Surely you can only be bored of something you have had too much of?
There is a lot of hype and it’s a mile away from traditional beers but it has its place

Surely you can only be bored of something you have had too much of?
There is a lot of hype and it’s a mile away from traditional beers but it has its place
I'm bored of the hype, I have nothing against non traditional beers but everywhere I look on youtube it is NEIPA

Have one or two, form an educated opinion, decide if its for you. You seem to have skipped the first 2 steps. Maybe it’s a hype for a reason?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but yours makes no logical sense to me.

Have one or two, form an educated opinion, decide if its for you. You seem to have skipped the first 2 steps. Maybe it’s a hype for a reason?

Have you never been turned off by hype? I accept that it is probably really nice, I am not bored of the beer, obviously because I have never tried it, but I am bored of the hype. There are so many good beers out there.

I get the Hop Custard tag, and agree it’s the current fashion, but a good one is worth the price. Unfortunately too many aren’t worth the money and are just .... hop custard 😀

I get the Hop Custard tag, and agree it’s the current fashion, but a good one is worth the price. Unfortunately too many aren’t worth the money and are just .... hop custard 😀
I’ve had some very good ones and some very average ones. Only had one attack or at making one, probably 3 years ago now but another is next in my brew list.

I love the style and there are some excellent examples out there. I'm sure Verdant are very good, and by all accounts they are very popular, but there is something about their house yeast I do not care for at all. Really odd aftertaste.

Not a fan of hype in general either. Apps like Untappd are great for indexing beer, but they are lousy for getting any real insight as to the quality of a beer. Anything that is "super juicy" or barrel-aged to within an inch of its life, is almost always disproportionately rated.

Visually it's a stunning looking beer. I have made a few half attempts. Half meaning I am not at the stage of looking at water chemistry.
My last attempt looked really good but lacked the hop flavour I was looking for. It contained 300g of hops. I wouldn't say it's my favourite style but it's a nice beer.

Have you never been turned off by hype? I accept that it is probably really nice, I am not bored of the beer, obviously because I have never tried it, but I am bored of the hype. There are so many good beers out there.

Turned off by hype? Quite often actually. But I tend to avoid said hype - so getting bored is the part that has me a bit puzzled.

So while I agree that the style is way too dominant at this moment - if you never had one I think you would enjoy it.

Hype? What hype are we talking about? Was there a really high profile product placement in a blockbuster movie? Has there been some "Coronation Street is brought to you courtesy of ..." type campaign running? Full page ads in daily papers? ... it's not as if there aren't plenty of alternatives on offer, so I don't understand what it is you are tired of :confused.:

... yes, that!

Cheers, PhilB

What gets me is; You go to buy a Pale Ale and every new beer tastes like a NEIPA, XIPA, Torpedo, citra hop bomb! some of which I like but NOT when I want a Pale Ale! These new brewers have forgotten beers should taste like the label says….
I don't mind the Karl Strauss Tower IPA I have found it to be one of the few with a good balance of malt and hops.
Hopping with 25 to 30 grams per litre for me is a waste of good hops, not disapproving of what others like to drink, would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Just brewed my first loosely based on Clawhammer one. It is bloody lovely but also quite expensive comparable to other brews. Glad I've done it and am enjoying it but I won't be rushing to brew it again.

I love ‘em. But expensive to brew, a bit hard for me on my kit to get quite right yet, expensive to buy, and often quite strong a.b.v (not all).

I had a gorgeous one brewed in Shenzhen, China and brought a few cans home with me in January. (I got out the day before they locked down, and no COVID-19 didn’t come home with me). I have been wanting that beer ever since, but for obvious reasons haven’t been able to get more!

Back