Born again brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkin

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I started brewing way back in the 80s, when my appetite for beer was only exceeded by the size of my mortgage, hence it made economic sense to put my cold cellar to some good use.
Although I only ever brewed from kits, I had a good production line going to ensure I always had a beer available to drink, and learnt the essentials of cleanliness and temperature.

Fast forward 30 years, mortgage is long paid off, and the creative urge started kicking in, but alas no cellar. Throwing caution to the wind, I managed to pick up a complete set of gear from someone whose GP advised him to no longer drink. I still didn't know how or where I could start my first brew, until I discovered an Ink Bird among the kit. A quick read up and a visit to Curry's to get my fridge, and I'm now just finishing my first fermentation of the century.
My first glass will be in commiseration with the poor soul whose drinking has ended, but who inspired my brewing future, so new generations could enjoy Chris' Old Cloudy.

During my absence, it seems a far wider range of equipment and ingredients is now available, albeit with far fewer High Street outlets.
I guess this is the way of the world, although I'm quite happy not spending every other lunchtime in Boots any more.

Very happy to join the forum - looking forward to getting back up to speed.

Welcome ,whats your first brew?,and what are you thinking for the next?

Welcome ,whats your first brew?,and what are you thinking for the next?
Currently brewing the Beerworks Sheepdog's Pride, with Beerworks Dragon's Speciale planned for afterwards.
Really looking forward to kissing a lot of beery frogs before I find a beery princess!

I'd quite forgotten how much I enjoyed the process, even more so now I have more control (and wifely approval). Ultimate aim is to settle on maybe 2-3 stock beers and chuck in the odd experimental brew.

Think I'm going to like it here - seems a friendly, helpful forum.

It's got remnants of many another's brewers story attached with Boots and the 80's both mentioned as I done the same thing...
Boots was always good value, and catered for beginner through to advanced. I lived in Canterbury at the time - home brew was particularly popular with students, so Boots paid attention to maintaining good stock levels.
Quite happy to have it delivered to home new - especially in the current environment.

Sounds like you got a bargain with that kit and you're on the right path with the inkbird. Welcome to the party🙂

Boots was always good value, and catered for beginner through to advanced. I lived in Canterbury at the time - home brew was particularly popular with students, so Boots paid attention to maintaining good stock levels.
Quite happy to have it delivered to home new - especially in the current environment.
I come back 4 years ago and went straight to all grain but have done a few kits which are handy but watch this hobby as its like a black hole and will just sucj you in.

I come back 4 years ago and went straight to all grain but have done a few kits which are handy but watch this hobby as its like a black hole and will just sucj you in.
Hmmm. New playroom at the bottom of the garden has already come to mind!

Sounds like you got a bargain with that kit and you're on the right path with the inkbird. Welcome to the party🙂
Yeah - I wasn't even aware of Ink Bird before, but it's made everything I wanted to do possible. Must admit, I felt a bit for the guy selling it.

Welcome,

I'm also new here and like you have just come back to it after 30 years. I'm off to Curreys today to get my fridge and InkBird is on order arriving today. We must compare notes :) I will be brewing from kits for a while, I have a Mild on order at the moment.

Have fun....

Welcome,

I'm also new here and like you have just come back to it after 30 years. I'm off to Curreys today to get my fridge and InkBird is on order arriving today. We must compare notes :) I will be brewing from kits for a while, I have a Mild on order at the moment.

Have fun....
Yay! Welcome!
Nice to have some company in the same boat.
Although I have only just dipped my toe back into the water, just a couple of tips before you part with hard earned cash.

1. Try to get the Essentials CUL55W19 fridge. I was originally going to get the 50cm wide version, but it would have been too small. A standard fermenting bin fits well in the 55cm model, although height is tight for an airlock. I fitted a 90 degree elbow on the lid with a length of pipe to mount the airlock on the side of the bin.
Very easy to route the mains cable from the greenhouse heater (or whatever you're using) down through the drain hole and then reterminate onto the plug (in practice, I had to extend mine).

2. I suppose it's a bit late to offer my thoughts on the InkBird, but I am already considering upgrading to the wifi version. It would be so much easier to have the temperature (and control) to hand rather than having to pace the floor like an expectant father every 5 minutes. This is the only bit of the brewing process which has irritated my wife (so far), and I'd rather be in her good books!

Good luck - keep in touch!

Chris

Latest posts

Back