Bottle bombs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barleylass

Reaction score
I made 1 gallon cider using a Nottingham yeast and only got it down to 1.002. I bottled it last night and stupidly used the wrong measure adding 1 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle instead of 1/2 teaspoon. Any advice on what I should do? I have 1 plastic bottle and the rest are 500ml used glass cider bottles. I intended to pasteurise.

I have had a couple of wines carry on fermenting when bottled due to me finishing them too early, i opened the caps slightly (glass bottles) every night letting a little pressure out and didn't have any bombs.

I've made turbo cider with Nottingham ale yeast before and only got it down to 1010 when it was definitely finished. Didn't ferment further in the bottle other than from the priming sugar.
I would expect your bottles to be ok but might be a bit lively when you open them. Fortunately Notty sticks to the bottom like glue so yeast rising up in your cider shouldn't be a problem, even less so if you refrigerate before opening.

I've made turbo cider with Nottingham ale yeast before and only got it down to 1010 when it was definitely finished. Didn't ferment further in the bottle other than from the priming sugar.
I would expect your bottles to be ok but might be a bit lively when you open them. Fortunately Notty sticks to the bottom like glue so yeast rising up in your cider shouldn't be a problem, even less so if you refrigerate before opening.
Thanks for that. I am thinking I should open the plastic bottle after 5-7 days to check as I can see sediment forming already.

I made 1 gallon cider using a Nottingham yeast and only got it down to 1.002. I bottled it last night and stupidly used the wrong measure adding 1 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle instead of 1/2 teaspoon. Any advice on what I should do? I have 1 plastic bottle and the rest are 500ml used glass cider bottles. I intended to pasteurise.
As you are intending to pasteurised use the Pet bottle to judge carbonation then when you have reached the right level then pasteurise the bottles as this will kill the yeast and prevent further carbonation.

As you are intending to pasteurised use the Pet bottle to judge carbonation then when you have reached the right level then pasteurise the bottles as this will kill the yeast and prevent further carbonation.
Do you think I should wait until the pet bottle feels solid or should I open it in 5-7 days to check fizz?

I reckon it'll be fine. Why are you using beer yeast? CIder or champagne yeast is the one to use (I think they're the same yeast).

I used a spare ale yeast, I think it was a wilko cerveza yeast and the turbo cider is excellent.
My only gripe would be it's not overly fizzy. I bottled in 1lt Schweppes tonic bottles and they're firm but not hard. I'd say it's similar to mateus rose, sparkling wise that is.

I bottled it at 1.002 and added 5g sugar per litre. Next time I'm gonna add some nutrient and small amount of wine yeast at priming as a trial. Probably bulk prime with a teaspoon of each in once cooled.

I bottled it at 1.002 and added 5g sugar per litre. Next time I'm gonna add some nutrient and small amount of wine yeast at priming as a trial. Probably bulk prime with a teaspoon of each in once cooled.
I intended it to be 1 teaspoon per litre but actually put 1 teaspoon per 1/2 litre. I have covered the glass bottles with a towel and am keeping my eye on the pet bottle. It taste nice when bottling so I have started a rhubarb one with the same ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back