Bottle Carbination

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recently brewed a batch of Coopers Real Ale which I dry hopped.
I also brewed a Coopers Irish Stout with no added hops.
I made 40 pints of each and added 1.5kg of Brown Sugar and each had an abv of 5.5%

When poured the IPA keeps a decent head all the way where the Stout disappointingly loses its head very quickly....
They both taste fine but for a Stout especially to lose its head so quickly to me is poor.
As ever any feedback on this would be appreciated.
Cheers!!

None of the stouts I drink maintain a head after a few minutes and I don't consider it unusual or a fault of the product.
Is that stout you made carbonated to your liking? From experience, stouts take longer to carb to optimum level, at least the ones higher in ABV that I make.
There grains you can add for head retention if you do all grain brewing.

If your stout has a head to start with then sounds like it's getting carbonated in the bottle ok if it's head fizzle's away quickly then is it rarely that bad, That's the joy of our hobby perfection and improving our brews some kits can be improved with malt extract / mixture of brewing sugar and malt extract, which I have used with success steeping or brewing with malts such as crystal, wheat, flaked barley in small amounts can also help with head retention But at all cost don't overdo the amount of sugar in the bottle or you risk bottles bursting which I have done a number of times in the post

Well, quite. More seriously, it's surely fair to say that whilst the amount of priming is obvious going to affect the 'fizziness' of a beer, head retention is a more complex matter, only affected partly by that, but also by other factors like the grain bill, even the way your beer glasses are washed, etc.

Latest posts

Back