Bottle carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
I haven’t bottled for a while. I split my latest 10 gallon batch between kegs and bottles. The last 6 gallons I added 100 grams of priming sugar, kegged 3 gallons and bottled the last 3 gallons. The keg has primed just fine, but the bottles are kind of flat.
Not sure why. Been in bottles for about a week.

No expert but it works out at 2 grams per bottle approx for 6 gallons(48 bottles).
Which is not enough.
I have bottle and use as a average 5 grams per bottle up or down depending on style and how much co2 you want in the beer.
One of the experts will pipe up with more detailed info I am sure.
Ps are you sure you mixed/dissolved the sugar well as it could also be that

Last edited:
I'd say give it at least another two, preferably three weeks in the bottle before you draw any conclusions.

I bottle at 2g per 500ml bottle and it's fine for what I make.
I don't like supercarbonated gushers
But you should allow at least 2 weeks to carbonate, especially if your beer was nice & clear so there isn't much yeast in suspension

Agree with the above. 2g/500ml bottle is fine for British ales and will give a light sparkle. 5g is good for high carbonation like hefeweizen, American beers etc.

1 week isn't enough (especially if you could crashed). Mine normally takes 2-3 weeks at 20°.

Last edited:
Good job you have bottling experts I am off the mark as its that long since I have done it.
Good advice from the other posters athumb..

A good tip is to use one PET bottle per batch. You can give it a squeeze every day to see how carbonation is progressing without opening up a bottle. I reuse 500ml coke bottles my stepson brings home from college.

I bottle everything and find that the longer the time in the bottle the more the carbonation.
Mine are fine up to about 2 months old but the level of carbonation is still increasing. I've got some of last year's Call Common which are now total gushers.
yup a single priming rate is a balance between under/over carbination, so now when bottling I adjust the priming rate into 2 batches as I prime each bottle with a sugar solution, lowering the amount for the crate that will be drunk last. Today i'm due to bottle and might write 6 - 5 - 4 on the top of the cap to do a three way split to indicate how many ml of priming solution used. The last of my first batch of assimilate this v2 this is staring to get lively but I'll be switching over to the other crate soon 🙂

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention the beer type. It’s hazy IPA around 7%.
I guess I need to be a bit more patient. I was just curious why the keg seemed to prime fast than the bottles when the primer was mixed in the bucket.
I’ve tried another bottle and it’s definitely more carbonated so hopefully it’s heading in the right direction!

I bottle everything and find that the longer the time in the bottle the more the carbonation.
Mine are fine up to about 2 months old but the level of carbonation is still increasing. I've got some of last year's Call Common which are now total gushers.
Best to factor in the temperature when calculating the priming sugar, the colder the beer the more co2 in suspension.
I used to have the same problem, as time wore on the bottles would be getting more carbonated. I use the Brewers Friend calculator, bottled today with the beer at 4 C the priming sugar was 25 gram for 21 litres.

Best to factor in the temperature when calculating the priming sugar, the colder the beer the more co2 in suspension.
I used to have the same problem, as time wore on the bottles would be getting more carbonated. I use the Brewers Friend calculator, bottled today with the beer at 4 C the priming sugar was 25 gram for 21 litres.
Thanks for the advice Foxy. Just in time too as I'm cold crashing a Saison for bottling tomorrow. I've only just got the fridge so would have completely forgotten about the temp factor!

yup a single priming rate is a balance between under/over carbination, so now when bottling I adjust the priming rate into 2 batches as I prime each bottle with a sugar solution, lowering the amount for the crate that will be drunk last. Today i'm due to bottle and might write 6 - 5 - 4 on the top of the cap to do a three way split to indicate how many ml of priming solution used. The last of my first batch of assimilate this v2 this is staring to get lively but I'll be switching over to the other crate soon 🙂
That's a really interesting method. I'll ponder that and may well try it for longer storage brews.

That could be a sanitation issue.

Panic over, a few days later and carbonation is bang on!

Attachments

• 9D999BC7-D6B3-444C-BA61-79A8CD454C38.jpeg
    9D999BC7-D6B3-444C-BA61-79A8CD454C38.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
Back