Bottle colour ? Does it matter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys I've got 2 19 liter corny kegs and just picked up a 11 liter one today so it can fit in my fridge. The problem is as I'm sure you can guess is the bit of beer that won't fit in the barrel . Is it a good idea to reduce my brew to 19 liter? (they are all kits at the moment)
anyway back on topic I've been collecting bottles green brown and clear. Is there a prefered colour and if so for what reason ?
Cheers ben

You might get a better product if you brew any kit short, or use a keg plus a couple of bottles.

Brown bottles for beer because hop residues can react with UV light and cause ‘skunking’. Brown will filter out the UV, green or clear won't.

As most kit beers probably use something called “isomerised hop extracts” that might not be a problem because they aren't as susceptible to UV.

Even so, it's safer to keep green or clear bottles inside cardboard boxes.

always best to keep them in the dark anyway I reckon... best dark space is in the fridge cooling down just before you start drinking :)

I bottle all my beers and usually bottle 12 or 15 to give away out of each batch :cheers:

Brown bottles of a certain size and shape ... kept and re-used :thumb:

Brown bottles that are odd sized, tall/dumpy ... given away as 'samples'

Green bottles ... also 'samples'

Clear bottles ... a couple of each bottling so I can see how much sediment has settled :idea:

Baz Chaz said:
I bottle all my beers and usually bottle 12 or 15 to give away out of each batch :cheers:

Brown bottles of a certain size and shape ... kept and re-used :thumb:

Brown bottles that are odd sized, tall/dumpy ... given away as 'samples'

Green bottles ... also 'samples'

Clear bottles ... a couple of each bottling so I can see how much sediment has settled :idea:

Its funny how we all have preferences to a particular shape or type of bottle. I personally like Black sheep and Wadworth bottles.

yeah, perhaps we should all get out more perhaps as opposed to sitting indoors brewing and drinking our beer whilst chatting amiably with other like minded chaps on here....

wait a minute...

It's either that or going on my work related forum and getting into arguments over the finer techniques of picture framing, I think I am about to get banned on that one again but I better not start that again because they will be watching me.

I know, I put a thread up about it on here before Christmas and somebody from the other forum googled me and found out what I had been saying and reported me to site admin, so I got banned from the framing forum. I am currently in a spat with said gentleman again so he may be lurking around here so I better watch my p's and q's.

I can't be banned from the picture framing forum so I can comfortably say surely that he is a 'S*!&&"*g F*!"£&"^g C*!"weasel' not on your behalf but just for being in agreement. Can't stand nosey **** types like that. you can type what you bloody well want where ever you want unless we have fallen into a time machine and be sent back into Nazi Germany or somesuch?? ****!

The problem is I am in the minority. i am a contract framer I do pubs hotels bars large exhibitions. The rest of them are bespoke framers aunty maudes cross stitch etc.

At the moment we are debating the best (and correct way) to frame a crowbar :lol: :lol: .

I said arildite or silicon to attach it to the backing board. Their suggestions have included welding, self tapping screws and rare earth magnets. I have also suggested kryptonite and some magic crystals I have or perhaps a Jedi knight taped to the back using the force.

Somehow non of my suggestions have gone down to well. :lol: :lol:

Back