Bottle conditioning - lots of particles in suspension

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan Dobbin

Reaction score
I currently have AG no2 conditioning in the bottles in a warm room. It has been in there for about 10 days, and whilst checking the beer today I noticed that there were alot of particles floating around in the bottles. I gave one a little shake, and much more was disturbed from the bottom so I think it is clearing OK, but as this was the first time I have dry hopped with pellets I wanted to check that this is to be expected?
When I racked the beer, I did this through my BIAB bag, and it caught a huge amount of sludge but there still seems to be alot of very small bits floating around. I am planning to move the bottles to the garage this weekend for another couple of weeks colder conditioning. Just looking for someone to put my mind at rest that this is fairly normal?! Cheers....!

I guess since you have racked you already removed a lot of particles from the beer, a few bits floating won't matter much, especially since you mentioned there has been settling on the bottom already. Did you have similar issues with other non-AG brews?
Just keep 'm in the fridge for a few days before consumption, and pour them out in one go in a 1-pint glass. Or any other glass that will fit the most in one go.
I myself have plenty of sediment too in the bottle but since my glasses are up to size, my beer is clear as a whistle in the glass.
Looks like you got beer!

When you racked the beer, did you rack into secondary fermentation and then add the dry hops or was it straight into your bottling bucket?
I try to avoid dry hopping with pellets for just that reason, but it's not always possible, in which case I contain them (loosely) in a very fine meshed back and stir and squeeze the bag (with a spoon against the side of the fermenter) every day that they're in the beer.
I found that even with a clear bottle, the release of gas would bring the hops up from the bottom and spoil the appearance of the beer. The yeast deposits "sets" to some extent, but the hop detritus remains loose.

I dry hopped in the FV, then racked straight into the bottling bucket (via muslin bag). I'll see how this comes out, as I'll probably have a sneaky taste this weekend. Previously I dry hopped with whole leaf, and whilst I lost a little more (circa 0.5L) beer this way, it came out much clearer. My next brew is using up my stocks, so will be whole leaf hot side, and pellets for the dry hop so I think I will try your suggestion and drop them into a muslin.

Latest posts

Back