Bottle conditioning temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does bottle conditioning temperature matter?

• YES!! same as fermentation temp or your beer will turn to whiskey

• meh - couple of degrees higher won't kill you

• Put them in a greenhouse, I dare you...

Results are only viewable after voting.

tobyjrn6

Reaction score
Have had a little search but not found anything definitive on this. Given the tiny amount of fermentable added, does it matter too much what temp bottles are conditioned at?

And as a more general question, after fermentation is completed or thereabouts (say within a couple of points of FG) does a higher temperature + yeast have an adverse effect on the beer. I ask as a similar situation may have occurred recently for a day or so while i grappled with getting a fermentation fridge sorted... I'm thinking/worrying along the lines of fusels as I've had a run in or two with them in the past using nottingham :/

I would think you would want a temp in the range 0f 18 - 20 C. If its too cool (say lagering temp), I would think it would take forever to carbonate.....too warm, and I hear bad tastes can creep in. I condition in the same room I brew in...

Yeah I find my house is a little bit too warm for fermentation hence the fusels in the past and the need for a fermentation fridge. I know the standard 'rules' but was wondering if anyone had any more anecdotal takes on this one

After fermentation:
  • I keep the bottles or kegs at fermentation temperature to two weeks to carbonate the brew.
  • When carbonated, the bottles or kegs are put on the garage shelves to condition for a minimum of two weeks. (There is no maximum time)
During the conditioning period, the bottles and kegs have to take pot-luck with the ambient temperature. Although the temperature in my garage may fluctuate from 0*C to +18*C over a year, the temperature changes are gradual and therefore (as far as I am aware) don't affect the beer.
:thumb:

Hi Toby ,
It all depends on the style you're brewing, and on what gravity and temperature you bottle at , but as a rule of thumb , bottle at approximately 16-17 °C , then condition for one month minimum at 10 - 12 °C .
Cheers
Edd

I find the kitchen cupboard on the shelf above the freezer a good spot
I know its the bottom end temp required but I'm happy to leave them an extra week then to the garage

I'd be more concerned with the temp during the beers time in the FV than when it's packaged

I'd be more concerned with the temp during the beers time in the FV than when it's packaged

This was kind of my thinking, along the same vein as it being a not so terrible idea to bump the temp up a little to get the last few points attenuated (along with the diacetyl rest).

I guess i'm also just sort of trying to reassure myself that I'm not ruining all my hard work in the bottle which may well be the case :/. I've got some Sierra Nevada pale clone carbing now at room temp (21ish so on the high end for notty) which i guess will be a good test as I know it went into the bottles tasting good

Latest posts

Back