Bottle Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
I have read that you should bottle condition for a minimum of 3 weeks, does this take into account how long you let the secondary fermentation happen before bottling.

For instance, I have brewed a Brown Porter with an ABV 5% It sat in the primary for 2 weeks before I moved it into a secondary for 3 weeks. I bottled and carbonated the beer 2 weeks ago. While I could drink it now, would it be optimal to let it wait another week?

Cheers

IT will probably be fine to drink - it will be carbed up and probably quite tasty. A brown porter will age really nicely in the bottle. I'd recommend saving a few bottles for the 6 month mark and seeing how they turned out.

good question and answers. always wondered if the extra week or two in primary or secondary counted
I know this thread didn't state four weeks in primary but as I don't secondary Im assuming this would still count providing care is taken after an ice bath, transferring the beer when batch priming

Do you normally leave your beers 3 weeks in the secondary? If I leave them in there longer than a week I suffer from lack of carbonation as all the yeast drops out.

As many other will say, patience is your friend - yes you can drink the beer now but it will get even better in the weeks and months ahead. I'm just drinking a 6% beer that's been in the bottle 14 months and it's lovely, much nicer than when it was first brewed.

Cheers for the info, I do not normally leave them that long in the secondary. I Just didn't have adequate time to bottle so it sat there for a little longer than expected.
As for the carbonation it seems spot on, which is quite surprising considering that the yeast should have settled out. I will be definitely try and hold on to a couple of these so I can age them. Will upload a picture later! It is quite delicious!

If its clear in the bottle, then its drinkable. This is particulary (sp) good in Milds....young and fresh. Rule of thumb...the higher the gravity the longer the better

Latest posts

Back