Bottle Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
After brewing in my cold garage using a heated FV I would like to bring the bottles indoors for conditioning.
SHMBO has other ideas about 40 bottles being spread around the house. I have been granted a small area that would acceptable but can only take 20.
My question is would the remaining bottles being storerd in the cold garage be ok with a delayed start to the conditioning while I await 2/3 weeks before swopping them around?

After brewing in my cold garage using a heated FV I would like to bring the bottles indoors for conditioning.
SHMBO has other ideas about 40 bottles being spread around the house. I have been granted a small area that would acceptable but can only take 20.
My question is would the remaining bottles being storerd in the cold garage be ok with a delayed start to the conditioning while I await 2/3 weeks before swopping them around?
It will probably be ok but personally I would try to avoid it. Ideally you want the bottles carbonating straight away to prevent any possible oxygen from the transfer affecting the beer. It would likely be fine though - it's sort of like lagering a beer before carbinating. You could get a bit of insulation together and a heat mat perhaps to make a small carbonation box for the garage in future? Or a fermentation fridge if you have the space

It'll be fine in the garage. I condition mine in the garage all the time and they come out great.

It's also quite mild at the moment

It'll be fine in the garage. I condition mine in the garage all the time and they come out great.

It's also quite mild at the moment
I think the OP is suggesting they want to carbonate the bottles, not "condition" them. Assuming they're in the UK and the weather is averaging 0c-10c at the moment, it'll need to be somewhere warmer to get any fizz into the bottles for an ale yeast.

Thanks everyone, I now understand the process better. Looks like I will be attempting to earn more brownie points😁

Get inventive .... behind the sofa another 20 that press she never looks in,under your side of the bed,spare room must be somewhere she won't notice

Put 20 bottles in a box, and put another 20 bottles in another box. You'll then be able to place one box on top of the other in the same allocated space. If they are unsightly place a nice sheet or blanket over them.

I am feeling your pain... I am now being given a limit to how many crates I can have carbonating and fvs on the go at any one time... So I am thinking of brewing a helles and fermenting in the cellar..

Latest posts

Back