Bottle conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not done this for a while since getting into kegs abs force carbonating and bottling with a counter flow bottle filler. Just brewed a saison with all brew belle saison yeast, which I’m wanting to bottle and store for a couple or so months so looking to bottle condition. Will be cold crashing in a couple of days. When I used to bottle condition I couldn’t cold crash ans just batch primed in the fermenter and bottled from the fermenter. If I’m cold crashing so I also need to add more yeast when I batch prime? Assuming it might be that the cold crash will drop out all the yeast. Thanks

Please do not add more yeast with a saison! treat it like a wild yeast as they have the ability to ferment more complex sugars compared to most yeasts.

Despite dropping down to 1.001 I under primed my dark saison and its 'lively, but stable' after 6 months in the bottle

Ok thanks both. I’m planning to use carb drops for convenience and the dosing is 1 tab for 330ml bottle or two for a 750ml bottle and I’m using 500ml bottles, so despite aiming for a higher carbonation than I would with an ipa, say 3 to 3.5 volumes, should I prime with two tabs or would that end up with too high carbonation with the risk of a few exploding bottles? My FG ended up at 1.008.

Definitely 1 drop with a saison and without wanting to panic you, I have had a few saisons hover around 1.008-1010 for a few days only to slowly start dropping until finishing at 1.002 or 1.001

Oh dear, thanks. I left it for a few days of static FG before transferring to a keg for dry hopping. I've not re-checked the FG so might do that before bottling. It's already coming out at 6.2%!

Back