Bottle labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin1256

Reaction score
Hi,
like many of you I like to recycle bottles donated from friends, but despite soaking for a week some labels aren’t even softened!
ideas please on how to remove them would be appreciated, thanks.

If they are plastic labels, warm bottle, peel them off and clean sticky residue with label remover, clean, soak, rinse, store.
I remove paper labels by soaking in Percarbonate Solution for a couple of days and the labels just fall off, clean, rinse,store.

Hi,
like many of you I like to recycle bottles donated from friends, but despite soaking for a week some labels aren’t even softened!

Have a look at this thread - How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

If they are plastic labels, warm bottle, peel them off and clean sticky residue with label remover, clean, soak, rinse, store.
I remove paper labels by soaking in Percarbonate Solution for a couple of days and the labels just fall off, clean, rinse,store.

Thanks, I've got some of that, I'll give it a try athumb..

Hi,

I found scratching the label up a little with an old knife breaks the surface of the label (Paper labels) and then a soak in hot water for an hour helps the label peel off more easily. You will always get some stubborn labels that require a bit more graft to get them off. I tend to use the same old knife and some elbow grease to physically scratch these stubborn full of partial labels off. The sticky residue that is often left behind will come off with a scourer and a little squirt of WD40. The WD40 dissolves the glue and gets it off. Obviously the cleaning and sanitising process will get rid of the WD40. Just remember, you don't need much WD40 at all. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the ideas, interestingly I’ve not heard of using WD40 before!
Cheers everyone 🍻🍻

veg oil mixed with bicarb of soda 'plastered' onto bottle will soften the glue (once label is off) and a wire scraper will get the residue off.

Did 20 bottles yesterday.
3 stickers on each 🙄
Had some arm and hammer baking soda and sunflower oil.
Filled all bottles with hot water, then into a bowl of hot soapy water with each, then slapped the soda/oil mix on and left for a while
Right pita. 😒👎
Not a bad result, still bits i missed.
Only another 30 to do and about 40 wine bottles 🙄😳
10 at a time from now on.

IMG_20200927_184207237.jpg

Been doing the recycling bottles with plastic labels. They peel off great. However getting the residue off is a nightmare. We put them in really hot water, then used a window scraper with a new blade in to get most of the gunk off. Then wire scrubber pad seemed to get the rest off. Very labour intensive.

Worked up a massive thirst which i am now quenching with a bottle of Westons Vintage cider.....

A long soak in very hot water with sodium perc has always worked for me and the labels either just drop off in the water or you can scrape them off with your thumb

my advice is don't buy brewdog beers - they clearly hate homebrewers, the glue they use is a nightmare to remove.

Latest posts

Back