Bottle NEIPA after 9days?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Brewed an extract based NEIPA on Apr 6th (1.061) and it’s already at 1.015 as of today the 11th!! So I rekon it’s pretty much done although I’m really amazed it is... if I chuck in my 2nd DH already tomorrow and leave for 3 days, is bottling on 15th going to be way too early?? Thats only 9days... This is my first NEIPA and they seem to be a unique beast 😊
Thanks
Alan

Why wouldn't it go lower? What yeast did you use? I usually keg between 10 and 14 days but would be put off if it still had a way to get down.

Why wouldn't it go lower? What yeast did you use? I usually keg between 10 and 14 days but would be put off if it still had a way to get down.
According to BrewersFriend the target was 1.017 so I’m already beyond that hence I figured I’m close to done in a few more days. Will take another reading today and see if it’s gone lower than 1.015...

Last edited:
Just curious but what were the ingredients.
Sure, here is what I used:
1kg medium DME
0.5kg wheat DME
225g golden Syrup
Wyeast London Ale III (although had to pitch 2 packets as both were nearing expiration and there wasn’t enough cells in either... based on the calculator it was probably overpitched by 3-5% as a result)
Citra, Amarillo, cascade and mosaic for initial hop tea and dry hopping.

Last edited:
Bottling earlier doesn’t mean it will necessarily be ready to drink any sooner. It’ll still need time before the flavour matures so you may as well be patient. You’ll also end up with less material in the bottom of the bottle if you wait a while, which has got to be better.

@Duxuk ... thanks... I’ve probably misunderstood something so (wouldn’t be the first time 😊) but with NEIPA I thought it should be packaged ASAP when ready to eliminate any oxygenation issues I’ve read so much about?
But if that’s not really the case then I’ve got no issues in leaving it in the FV until the 2week mark....

@Duxuk ... thanks... I’ve probably misunderstood something so (wouldn’t be the first time 😊) but with NEIPA I thought it should be packaged ASAP when ready to eliminate any oxygenation issues I’ve read so much about?
But if that’s not really the case then I’ve got no issues in leaving it in the FV until the 2week mark....
I'm of the same opinion that NEIPA style heavily hopped beers are best when fresh ! If the gravity is already stable and your second dry hop has been in for 3 days, then I would cold crash and then bottle or keg !

Good article and I was enjoying it up to the point where it said “don’t bottle condition NEIPA” 😂🤦🏻‍♂
Well, I don’t have kegs so I’ll just have to take my chances..... let’s see. I’m sure all brewers have to dump one brew down the drain at some point ... but hopefully this one won’t be mine 😊

Just thought I’d close out this thread with the finished product.
So in the end it bottomed out at 1.014 which was fine. However I used a Brewferm auto siphon for the bottling (also the first time I used it which was a mistake) and frankly it was a disaster... there was a constant airlock that I couldn’t clear resulting in a gush of air getting into every bottle. I should have switched over to my bottling wand midway. Anyway, it’s not as dark as the pic shows but it certainly got oxygen which affected the flavor a bit. It’s drinkable but probably could have been much better. Thankfully I only brewed a half batch for this very reason 😊
The good points are that the head retention is great and the carbonation is spot on which I’m pleased with as this was the first time I batched primed - will certainly be doing that again.

Attachments

• 4A12F43F-790F-4DEC-842E-E984B927FFD1.jpeg
    4A12F43F-790F-4DEC-842E-E984B927FFD1.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 61
Closed transfer and kegging is a must for a good neipa, then the right water additions.It’s a hard style to get right that’s for sure.
That certainly looks bad oxidisation 😞

Yeah, I guess it should look like the one in your avatar pic I guess :laugh8:
Maybe someday when i graduate to the big-boys equipment ;)

True. But for now still on extract brewing and basic FVs for the moment... so no kegs etc yet. So an extract based NEIPA with very basic kit was always going to be a risk... but I did learn a lot again.
Building up to the idea of graduating to BIAB however.. but not sure whether I should bypass and just go straight to AG and invest...

Building up to the idea of graduating to BIAB however.

BIAB is a great idea and is in no way inferior to brewing on a 3-vessel or all-in-one system. Once you move to all-grain, taking care of your wort/beer cold side is what will make all of the difference.

BIAB is all grain, I have loads to learn, but how you look after your wort to packaging is the hard part.

I know neipa is not every ones cup of t, but that juicy tropical hop bomb sure does go down a treat on a sunny day!

Latest posts

Back