The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonation drops or priming with sugar

• Carbonation drops in bottle

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Priming sugar in bottle

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Batch priming in FV then into bottle

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters
Noob here, interesting read.
May I ask what size measuring spoon you use to dose the dextrose direct to the bottle please? (How much do you put in each bottme?)I am presuming we are talking 500ml bottles.
Thank you.

Edit .. forgot to say it is an ale/beer I am attempting, not a lager.

Yes, 500ml.

I use these beauties. As The Baron says, just level off with a knife to get a consistent measure. I go for either 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp or 3/4 tsp (1/2 + 1/4. I know, it means I have to do each bottle twice) depending on the style and how much fizz I fancy. I sometimes prime different bottles at different rates to experiment and see which I prefer for future reference.
15336642686246945454060275324038.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, i have found weighing the sugar out and mixing it into the secondary quite easy and successful.

Just pour a sugar solution into the fermenter, gently swirl near the top and leave it for 20 minutes. Carbonation drops are a collossal waste of money.

Noob reading with interest (great thread by the way)

When you say “solution” do you mean priming sugar straight into the FV, or mix it with something else then pour into the FV?

When you say “solution” do you mean priming sugar straight into the FV, or mix it with something else then pour into the FV?
I get a pan with a little bit of water in it and get it out to boil, weight out the sugar, throw it in the pan and wait for it to dissolve.

Then I'll either put it in the bottling bucket and syphon onto it so it mixes in or if I haven't got a fermenter free to use as a bottling bucket I'll pour it into the original bucket, give it a gentle swirl near the top and then leave it for half an hour before starting to bottle. I don't let the priming solution cool because the thermal mass of 100ml or so of water is nothing compared to what it's going into.

I get a pan with a little bit of water in it and get it out to boil, weight out the sugar, throw it in the pan and wait for it to dissolve.

Then I'll either put it in the bottling bucket and syphon onto it so it mixes in or if I haven't got a fermenter free to use as a bottling bucket I'll pour it into the original bucket, give it a gentle swirl near the top and then leave it for half an hour before starting to bottle. I don't let the priming solution cool because the thermal mass of 100ml or so of water is nothing compared to what it's going into.

Thanks, that’s very helpful

Batch prime all the way for me when bottling. Tried carb drops which seem useless and leave a slug of sediment in the bottle of the bottle and priming measuring sugar on a spoon in each bottle is too much of a faff and time consuming.
Batch priming gives me carb consistency also. The next bottle is the same as the last.

Back