Bottle Rinser/Washers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle washer was one of the best bits of equipment I ever bought. Speeds the process up no end. If you ever upgrade to star san you can just fill the washer with it, a few pumps and put the bottle on the bottle tree to drain and done. I do about 60 bottles in about 30 mins while I'm waiting for any sediment to settle out in the bottling bucket
I have ordered plastic Coopers PET (Ox-bar) bottles to bottle the next batch of beer I brew. The bottle rinser mentioned above (like this) is clearly very popular, effective and easy to use. A seller website I found said that the rinser does not work so well with the PET bottles as their necks are slightly wider. Anyone experienced the same problem?

I have ordered plastic Coopers PET (Ox-bar) bottles to bottle the next batch of beer I brew. The bottle rinser mentioned above (like this) is clearly very popular, effective and easy to use. A seller website I found said that the rinser does not work so well with the PET bottles as their necks are slightly wider. Anyone experienced the same problem?

I've got a different rinser and use glass but iirc a forumite said they had the problem you mentioned and they just put a CD over the long plastic bit

Any sort of large washer placed over the top will do the job for you.

I've got a different rinser and use glass but iirc a forumite said they had the problem you mentioned and they just put a CD over the long plastic bit
Ok. Thanks. There seem to be two variations - one that fits on top of a drainage tree, the other for a worktop. Is one better than the other? I can see how a CD might work with the first whereas a washer would seem a better for the second worktop type? The latter also seems to have a slightly wider base?

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

I've got the bottom one and it does PET bottles fine without any tinkering, works a treat :thumb:

I've got the bottom one and it does PET bottles fine without any tinkering, works a treat :thumb:
Thanks. Good to know. Just had an email from a company selling this type. The said there used to be an issue with plastic bottles and older models such that they used to supply an adapter. The current model no longer needs this, as you say.

I bought a load of reusable plastic beer bottle caps I rinse the bottles after use then on a free day I fill with a small amount of starsan & fit the cap.
On bottling day, give each bottle a shake, drain & fill easy:)

I've revived this Thread on the basis that I took a couple of photographs of my home-made bottle washer.

The washer models I've seen illustrated don't really clean the inside of the bottle (especially any yeast that is stuck to the sides) which is why they sell so many brushes!

Last summer a load of bottles conditioning in the garage showed a layer of yeast suck to the sides nearest the door and even after pouring the brew out of the bottle a series of "fill/shake/re-fill" wouldn't dislosgdge the haze of yeast so I made the gizmo in the attached photographs from a stainless steel bicycle spoke, four small plastic tie-wraps and a bit of chamois leather.

It works a treat.

IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg

Latest posts

Back