Bottle Sanitising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Hi all, complete newbie here & looking for some advice. Ive my 1st brew on & almost ready for bottling, ive been reading lots & everybody seems to think star san is the best way to sanitise bottles, i havent got any & it wouldnt be here on time if i order now from amazon. Is there an alternative, i was thinking of milton baby tablets, if so could someone please advise me of teh best procedure to follow please.

Hi Bud, Yep Miltons or any Supermarket brand you can get your hands on will do the job of sanitizing your bottles. I've used these and had no problems. If you've not got one I'd recommend getting a good sturdy bottle brush too. Personally I would recommend giving the bottles a really good rinse out after using the Miltons etc. What are you brewing? Good luck with your first brew.

If it's glass bottles you're talking about you could just put them in the oven at 150c for 20 minutes. Obviously you'll have to wait for them to cool down before filling.

Milton will do the job but the jury is still out on whether beer brewers have to rinse even though its a no rinse steriliser (wine makes do not need to rinse as it doesn't effect wine in any way)

A couple of threads about Milton -

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/sanitising-with-milton.74409/#post-716491
I’ve started sanitising with Milton. It says no rinse when using for baby stuff but is this the same when brewing?

No it's not the same. The "no rinse" in this case means it's safe for ingestion, but that doesn't mean it won't have a flavour impact on your beer. Milton is essentially a weak sodium hypochlorite solution, ie. bleach, which can react with phenols in the beer to produce chlorophenols which give a very unpleasant off flavour, think TCP

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/do-i-have-to-rinse-milton.54806/

Starsan. It's the best sanitiser on the market.

Initially expensive, but will last you over ten years for <£20 so that's a win in my book.

Latest posts

Back