Bottle storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiAlBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was recently lucky enough to score 4 crates of grolsh bottles from a brewer who had gone to kegging. The bottles were sealed with about an inch of cleaning solution in the bottom.

I usually give my bottles a hot tap water wash after drinking, leave under the sink and then batch clean with cleaning solution and then starsan before bottling.

I want to store these extra bottles in the shed but don't want to leave them uncapped to stop sawdust, insects etc getting in. It struck me that tap water or cleaning solution might go stale or precipitate out.

How do you guys store bottles post drinking and pre filling?
Cheers,
M

Hi M, I just swill my plastic bottle out with cold tap water post drink, put the cap back on and store wherever I can, then pre bottling I just rinse them with Videne no rinse solution, no probs since doing it this way for a few years now. I always taste the brew before bottling to check for off flavours, infections etc so I know what part of the process has fooooked the beer

Like Banbeer, I cramp the caps back on after rinsing, but I keep a half-litre PET of sodium metabisulphite and put a bit in each bottle to keep them sweet. The advantage of this is that if when you come to use the bottle years or months later, if the bottle smells of sulphur dioxide, then it's good, if it doesn't then it needs re-sanitising to be on the safe side.

All my used bottles are soaked in a chemical solution, rinsed, dried, when convenient put through dishwasher 40 at a time on a Sanitise program, top each bottle is covered with cling film until i want to use them.
Prior to use, the insides of the bottles are rinsed with a Starsan solution.
Bottles have never smelled fusty, had anything in them, nor given a bad beer.
Have around 300+ (15 or 16 crates) to be filled.

Mine go in the dishwasher then get stored in the cellar. Before refilling they go back in the dishwasher and then they get sprayed liberally with starsan. If they have been down the shed or have been freshly scavenged they get soaked in bleach before going in the dishwasher.

I wash them up with normal detergent straight after drinking, rinse well with HOT water then store in one of those 4 draw high metal filing cabinets.

Dunk them in star san before use and drain on a bottle tree.

I use Grolsch bottles as well. I remove the rubber gasket before storing--or I'm supposed to. Though there are probably more thorough methods here, I just clean them and make sure they insides are fully dry. You could cover them in plastic wrap but I just set the plastic/porcelain piece in place. That keeps enough of everything out.

Rinsed well to remove all sediment, dry upside down until completely dry.
Capped with cling film or plastic clip-on caps and stored in lidded boxes in the shed.

On bottling day, they get rinsed out again (if smelling stale, otherwise not), then sprayed with Starsan.

Rinsed well to remove all sediment, dry upside down until completely dry.
Capped with cling film or plastic clip-on caps and stored in lidded boxes in the shed.

On bottling day, they get rinsed out again (if smelling stale, otherwise not), then sprayed with Starsan.
Thats what I would recommend especially take note of the upside down until THOROUGHLY dry. Even a little water left in can cause issues IMO

Back