Bottle washing and drying

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into brewing and, thanks to a tip from my old mate @Alderneybrew , I've got my hands on some nice 660ml glass Cobra beer bottles from our local Indian restaurant.
Getting them clean and free of beer dregs is not an issue; bottle brush and a bleachy solution in the sink with two good rinses with tap water. I'm not going to need them until my brew is ready in a few weeks time, so I'll have to store them somewhere and bring them out for a rinse with steriliser before filling. What I don't want to do is store them with drops of tap water inside if it can be avoided. Any cunning tips on drying them?
I figure that if I can get them dry, a little cling film over the opening will keep any dust out and they will only need sterilisation come bottling time, not full-on washing.

Oven them? Have you got a bottle tree or can make something similiar?

I've had permission from the Queen of the kitchen to oven them. Bit of a faff because, being tall bottles, they don 't like to stand up on a wire shelf, but after a few jangly bottle cascades, they are now drying on a low heat.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a bottle tree?

Ha, yeah cooking them is a bit of a faff!

1627310143873.png

This is a bottle tree, you can get them for £20 or so?

If they are cleaned of all debris, as you mention they are, then a bit of water will evaporate and the sanitation process will suffice when the time comes. When the water evaporates, you could use cling film to prevent further dust and bugs, I guess. I use starsan and
1627310682425.png
to sanitize. A bottle tree or a bottom dishwasher rack at this point works well.

If they are cleaned of all debris, as you mention they are, then a bit of water will evaporate and the sanitation process will suffice when the time comes. When the water evaporates, you could use cling film to prevent further dust and bugs, I guess. I use starsan and
View attachment 51576to sanitize. A bottle tree or a bottom dishwasher rack at this point works well.
I must be having a bit of a dim day. I didn't even think of the dishwasher. I could have washed and rinsed the inside them bunged them in the dishwasher to wash and dry the outside. I don't think I'd trust the dishwasher to get the inside properly clean.

I store them upside down in a clean crate after washing.
When I need them, a swish around with sanitiser and fill them.

Another good tip but I have to store them in a damp place, so I need to cling film them to keep moulds and stuff out.

Each to their own, but personally I don't like the idea of clingfilm much, I think I'd prefer fresh air.

I make sure my empties are sanitised, clean and dry, before I put them away. They are not carefully stored up side-down in a special crate, though, they are chucked any old how into a massive cardboard box! 😀 When needed for a brew, they are fished out, given another quick sloosh with VWP, then rinsed with hot water and allowed to dry. And ready to go.

I have never ever suffered from an infected bottle. I think people overthink these things.

I don't think I'd trust the dishwasher to get the inside properly clean.
Neither would I. I use the bottom rack strictly for drip drying. I pull the rack out and set it on the stove but you could leave it in the dishwasher. The main point is that, once the bottles have no debris, I personally don't worry about some dust before I sanitize. Bugs I would not be thrilled with and if that were an issue then might use cling wrap once the bottles are moisture free. It's all about the inside being free of debris.
My main, successful action (once you have a bottle where you want it, cleanliness-wise) is rinsing them thoroughly after the pour. If I had the space, I would keep this permanently attached to a faucet:
1627314854914.png

Then I'd only have to sanitize them before the next bottling day. I know I'm straying a bit off-topic but it's a fun subject.

I rinse them straight after use to remove sediment, then just throw in a box. Day of bottling rinse with starsan with bottle washer,,, now and again they go in the dishwasher with a steam setting. Never had a infection

I bought some bottle washing stands, a plastic tray that holds bottles upside down with a catch tray underneath. Makes it so easy, a good hot wash with a bottle cleaning solution and bottle brush, then rinsed with very hot water and stacked to drain and dry. I put a bit of foil over the top that keeps dust out (plus lets me know they're clean) and pop them in a crate in the garage. Then it's just a good rinse with star san just before bottling. Will see if I can find some pics...

I have wondered about the odd drop of moisture left inside the bottle but with the foil cap it's stored pretty clean before being sanitised so think it's fine...

Last edited:
I swill the dregs and sediment out of the bottle immediately after pouring, and then store until I have 45 empties, enough for a bottle tree.

I wash them in hot soapy water and then rinse twice in cold water. I then pump three times on a bottle washer, rotating between each pump, with Starsan as the sanitiser. Leave them on a bottle tree overnight to drain and dry.

Then I top them with tin foil and store them in a banana box, (pre COVID given away by most UK supermarkets, but I don’t know present situation).

I’ve got around 300 bottles, that are mainly Kopperberg and Magners bottles and I’ve stored them with tin foil on the top for up to 3 months with no infected brews.
84ECDD47-7D05-41B7-846F-3CB9071E684E.jpeg

When you put the cardboard top on the box they will stack 6 high in a garage. Each box holds 34 to 35 bottles.

I just rinse and store upside down in a cardboard box. On day of use, fill 2 x fermenting bucket with steriliser, and fill and stack them upright in the buckets. Empty and rinse one by one as I fill.

As soon as beer is poured I top up bottle with water to stop yeast drying up
then just before they go in the dishwasher I swirl the yeast out checking the bottom of bottle is clear
then dishwasher, then 2 rinses of tap water bottle left on drainer at a steep angle to get remaining water drips out
oven them sideways
once cooled a used washed and starsaned cap goes on then down shed.
only ever had one gusher in over 3450+ bottles

I also pray to the flying spaghetti monster**

** this may not be true

Latest posts

Back