Bottle washing and drying

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with MOTO above. As long as the vessels are rinsed/cleaned well, dried and after use placed in a covered storage box you'll have no issue.
Sanitising before filling again is the most important aspect for me and after all, alcohol is a sanitiser in itself especially wine/mead ABV.
It would be interesting to see how many spoilt bottles people actually get from processes they regularly use. Very few I imagine.
T

I clean as I go. As soon as I pour a beer I 1/4 fill the bottle with warm water, put my thumb over the top and vigorously shake a few times. I then rinse it out 2-3 times and turn the bottle upside down on some kitchen paper to drain over night. Next morning I store my dry bottles out in the garage until the next time I need them. I just sanitise with Chemsan before use again on bottling day.

I clean in the sink and use the dishwasher/ to be fair the dishwasher does seem to get in there but never tested with a dirty bottle but the heat sterilises them and they come out dry. I just then put a bit of tin foil on top to stop any debris getting in and store. And before filling bing in a bucket of sanitiser.

Back