Bottle washing hacks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
So, it can’t just be me that thinks the bottle washing/sterilising part of brewing is tedious…Theres just so much faffing about and never enough space for bottles!
Currently wash the bottles in Chemsan Foaming No rinse sanatiser and then rinse out with water. A bit belt a braces I know but a bit anal about it 🙄.
A bottle tree will speed things up but just wondering how other members go about it.
cheers

Fill the bottles with water then add a little VWP - leave an hour and rinse - I have no more room for more equipment.
Saving as many flip tops as I can and I use recycled pop bottles, its the capping that I find a pain

Biggest tip from me would be to give the bottles a good rinse immediately after pouring. Get all the yeasty stuff out and then just store them with a loose cap or a bit of tin foil over the top. Sanitise on bottling day with a no rinse solution and your good to go. I would also say investing in a bottle tree is money very well spent.

I find that just rinsing after use isn't quite sufficient. I can still see a small amount of debris (probably yeast) clinging to the inside of the bottle. I need a few scrubs with a bottle brush as well as rinsing after use. Then I let them drain and store in a cupboard.

Rinse out with starsan just before filling

I think most brewers do the rinse out as soon as poured so that they are reasonably clean.
This makes it a simple rinse out then I use the bottle washer that squirts starsan up into the bottle and drain on a bottle tree.
Ps I use Cornies too now so my bottle washing equipment is virtually redundant. I only need to use 2 or 3 bottles for any possible leftover after kegging so just wash and sanitise manually for those few bottles

I pretty much do as above, rinsing after use then chemsan prior to filling, draining on a bottle tree. There's little point rinsing tbh after using the chemsan, so don't bother with that.
For what it's worth, I went to kegging mainly as I hated dealing with bottles, now I am part kegging, part bottling as I actually find cleaning kegs a bit annoying, but that's probably because I missed something.
I love kegging, but I also love having 40 bottles neatly lined up with their shiny new caps on. Don't know why, but that's the most satisfying part of brewing for me. Probably says something about the quality of my beer asad.

I used to keg the beer (plastic, not corny) but never wanted to get into CO2 dispensing. ASA result, I just can't get through a keg quick enough before it starts to go off, so bottles are my only real option

I rinse the neck of of each bottle after use, then swish soapy water in it at dish washing time and rinse the bejabbers out of it again and place it in here. On bottling day a quick dose of starsan and I'm ready to go.
IMG_20220327_100125.jpg

I do as previous posters note....rinse after drinking, put old cap back on then no-rinse squirt before bottling. I haven't bought a bottling tree yet....you can use the dishwasher tray if empty. Best purchase was a bench based capper, very quick and handles different sized bottle necks. 👍

So, it can’t just be me that thinks the bottle washing/sterilising part of brewing is tedious…Theres just so much faffing about and never enough space for bottles!
Currently wash the bottles in Chemsan Foaming No rinse sanatiser and then rinse out with water. A bit belt a braces I know but a bit anal about it 🙄.
A bottle tree will speed things up but just wondering how other members go about it.
cheers
The Chemsan is for sanitising, not washing. You need to wash/rinse the bottles after use. You may be able to just rinse them or you may need to use a bottle brush and a cleaner, depending on what state they are in.

Then when you are ready to bottle your next batch use the Chemsan to sanitise them and don't waste your time (and water) rinsing them.

I use swing type bottles (as used for grolsch) for the last few pints after kegging? Anyone have any issues/ideas with respect to these types of bottles?

No issues so far. I love how easy they are to seal compared to having to cap a bottle (although having a good quality capper helps a lot in that regard).

If they're clean I just add a little chemsan, close and shake. Then pour them out just before filling.

Back