Bottled ales that are over carbonated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shominy

Reaction score
I was just reading a thread on here about a TT Landlord clone and someone mentioned that the bottled stuff isn't as good as the cask variety which I'm sure 99% of people will agree with. They then said that most bottled ales seem to be over carbonated nowadays which I quite agree with. Now I'm pretty new to real ale but it is definitely something which I have noticed when buying bottles from the shop vs having a pint from a pub. Are there any ales, I'm talking English bitters/pale ales, that are very lightly carbonated out of the bottle and not like some sort of pseudo lager as most seem to be now?

I think the closest you’ll get is the “macro” bitters like Boddingtons or John Smiths that come in the cans with the widgets. Is that even still a thing?

Alternatively some breweries do beer in a bag or 5L mini casks that are more in keeping with the style carbonation-wise but they don’t keep as long.

I find that bottled beers are so over carbonated that it’s difficult to distinguish one form another so I generally only buy beers that are meant to have higher carb levels outwith the pub.

Just pour it into a big jug or saucepan from a height and then into the glass, or give it a big shujj with a pencil. I do it all the time with my beers because I carbonate everything at 2.3 vols the first time then work out if they're better lower carbed.

Just having a can of Old Speckled Hen and its quite lightly carbed. The cans weren't blown up hard from the pressure either. Are canned ales less carbed generally? I cant see why they would be other than the ring pull being a weak spot but thinking back to others I've had, Abbot Ale for example, the cans do seem smoother compared to bottled. Or equally it could be my imagination.

Last edited:
Are canned ales less carbed generally?

Generally higher if anything but they seem to have got more sophisticated in recent years - Marble Metric (ie canned Pint) is an example of a beer that is noticeably less carbed than is typical for cans.

Also bear in mind that most cask ale is served somewhat dead, and at the height of condition has rather more fizz to it than how it is served on average.

Only had landlord a few times but have had plenty of sheperd neame. Right across kent, and still prefer the bottles( I know I’m an outlier hear) but yes it’s definitely better in some pubs than others.

Woodforde's is 5 miles from my house and I love Wherry. The thread on this site about how good the kit can be shows the love.

Ive bought 36 pint beerbox from their shop which was great.

How can it be then in bottles its bloody awful?

Not sure if its the carbonation but the bubbles feel smaller more aggressive in my mouth.

I dont know how they can gt it so wrong. Maybe the reason you dont see the bottles very often?

Other ales seem to be able to do it.

buddsy

The beers from Lidl at £1.09 seem less gassy than most bottled beers. If you can find bottle-conditioned beers, they seem OK.

The beers from Lidl at £1.09 seem less gassy than most bottled beers.
Aldi do their own ones for £1.09 which I like. It says Wells brewing co. I think. I like to keep these clear bottles for my own brews which allow me to keep an eye on sediment and colour of the beer.

buddsy

The problem is with cask ale is it can be very hard to replicate when your consuming ale away from the pub or beer festival. Bright beer from a local brewery in a poly bag/box is pretty close and has a reasonable shelf life. Bright beer in takeaway 2 litre bottles from a brewery i find are good that day but can be rather lifeless if left any longer.

For me i find it best to pour bottled/canned ale with a generous head at an ideal temperature, once the head has settled down and can be topped up most the carbonation has gone but enough will remain so the beer will not seem flat :beer1:

The beers from Lidl at £1.09 seem less gassy than most bottled beers. If you can find bottle-conditioned beers, they seem OK.
Some of the equivalents from Aldi are good too, picked up a 330ml can of some sort of hoppy IPA yesterday and it was brilliant for the price, very smooth and easy drinking and just a bit of carbonation.

I find the Green Gecko IPA and Golden Goose (now vastly better than it was originally) very palatable and excellent value at £1.09. I believe they are brewed by Marstons and the Golden Goose is very similar to Hobgoblin Gold. The Ruby one is disappointing whereas the Aldi equivalent (in the Harper range) is pleasant which is puzzling as I believe the Harper beers are also brewed by Marstons.

Open the bottle 20 minutes before you pour and drink it. You'll notice the difference.

Latest posts

Back