Bottled Vieux Chateau du Roi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenhowBrewer

Reaction score
just bottled my 5 gallon Winexpert Vintners Reserve kit. 16 bottles and two demijohns now sat in the garage.

It was a 10 litre juice kit, and as an experiment I brewed it with 13 litres of Asda 17p for 2 litres spring water rather than tap water, and it’s been sat in the carbouy for about 3 weeks after fining & racking.

I was told by the chap in the shop that you need to wait 3 months for it to even start tasting good, and 9 months to really get the taste of it.
Well, I’m pretty chuffed how it tastes after 3 weeks maturing - very pleased.

I’ve got aWineWorks merlot on the go as well now. I used more expensive spring water this time....Asda 5 lites for about £1.20, so I’ll seehow that goes. I have also reduced my fermenting temp to 20-21C from the 22-23 I have been using previously. People seem to say you get better flavours etc. at lower temps, so we’ll see how that goes.

..probably have to buy another wine rack soon

Once the merlot’s out of the FV, I’ve got a beer lined up.

Getting ready for the summer :beer1:

I was told by the chap in the shop that you need to wait 3 months for it to even start tasting good, and 9 months to really get the taste of it.
Well, I’m pretty chuffed how it tastes after 3 weeks maturing - very pleased.

3 - 9 months sod that, if it tastes good after 3 weeks i would not be waiting 3 months to see if it was much better. :laugh8:

If you want to try something yourself that only takes 2 weeks from start to drinking have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

I take your point, but I have a few shorter term wines ready - I fancied trying a something that might be worth leaving for a while

Thanks for the link though. I have had a go at one already...grape juice &pinapple, but it tastes a bit pinapply sick.... I might have to leave it for a few months wink...

Well...2 x 1.5ltr apple juice , 1.5 ltr grape juice and 1.5 ltr pineapple juice. Fermented out to about 8% [ its for the Boss ] and that what she likes. After 8 weeks still a little thin - so a little sweetening and it tastes just fine with better body. I will have to make some more.

Correct Chippy Tea...Not if I want to keep living ;) [ I'm high on self preservation ] :cool:

Back