Bottled Water & Star-San

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I've noticed a few of you use Ashbeck water from Tescos to dilute Star-San with. My question Is, Is other supermarket water not as good ie: acidity or alkalinity values.

Thanks Pete

tesco ashbeck is simply known to remain clear and should be within most folks reach.

most bottled water will be circa ph7 (neutral) but different mineral contents can lead to a cloudy starsan mix, and while it can still be active with a low ph when cloudy it is an indicator that it may me spent acid wise too.

a cheap book of ph indicator papers is a good buy if using starsan so you can check the ph of any solution before you use it cloudy or not.

The name of the water should give you a clue...
"mineral water" will be harder than "spring water". Starsan is best diluted with soft water.

Thanks for all the replies

HebridesRob your right the name of the water should have given me a clue, to be honest I didn't even look I don't normally buy It, to me bottled water Is bottled water:doh::doh:
The water I bought has a ph balance of 7.8 so I put 4ml into 2 ltr of water and shook It up and It looks ok It didn't cloud up. But I'm sat here thinking Is It worth taking the risk.

Cheers Pete

Latest posts

Back