Bottleing Nelsons Revenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prospectjim66

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question please, new to the brewing game. My Nelsons Revenge is fermenting still, been going 5 days now, so I'll do another SG reading soon, and probably leave for another week or so. My question is, when I do bottle it, do I just put 1 of the little 'carbonation drops' in the plastic bottle first, instructions aren't over clear about this? Do I put 1 or 2 drops in each bottle?? Hopefully I wasn't meant to have used them somewhere in the process already!? I think as a child I remember my brother spooning sugar into the bottles, but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong! Thanks again, Jim

One drop per 500ml/pint. Or just use sugar via a funnel - or a twist of paper even.

Check what your packet says - the ones I have used said 2 drops and it hasn't come out excessively fizzy.

But yes if you are using drops I just add them to the bottles before filling them.

I am converting to batch priming from now though with sugar.

The instructions on the Nelson's Revenge box should say how much sugar is needed. My Wherry kit says 1/2 a teaspoon per pint. Don't add too much as the bottles could explode. What brand are the drops? Half a teaspoon of granulated sugar is 2g, so weigh ten drops and see what the average weight is.

We all like our beers carbed to a certain level, dependant on the style, and whether they are served chilled from the fridge or not. Apart from being a very expensive way of adding what is basically just sugar using carbonations drops does not allow you to fairly accurately adjust the carbing level to how you like it. So use the calculator for 'sugar' work within the range of carbing for the style using your own preference for 'flat' or 'fizzy' and if you serve your beers chilled use a tad more sugar.

I sampled a Wherry last night bottled on 18 September with one drop per 500ml bottle. Nice head, good head retention and just enough fizz (for me).

The weight of priming drops can vary by brand, but I find the, to be mostly about 2-3g of sugar. Personally I would say for something like Nelsons Revenge (or Wherry) this is sufficient and you will likely end up with something just above cask level. That said personal preference does play a part you may want to consider priming some with one drop some with two and see which you prefer as I know that what I would enjoy others would consider flat.

Last edited:
I made Admirals Reserve for a mates big Birthday - and used the suger quoted on the Box to batch prime the PET Bottles

2 of us randomly picked a bottle after 2 months and it tasted "carbonated" but did not have that much of a head. However I was trying NOT to disturb the sediment while dispensing the Litre bottle into 2 glasses.

It did taste great but I was disappointed that a month later I was going to hand over 17 Litres of AR without a head to speak of. I need not have worried as on his Birthday we got stuck into it and it was superb. He quickly learned that pouring into one Glass and dropping the liquid into the glass bottom not letting it pour down the side of the glass produced a sensational head that lasted and it tasted great

Hes still got 8 litres left in his Garage with another 6 weeks of age on it an I keep thinking I should nick it lol so my advice try what I did and it should work a treat (and it was the first beer I had bottled for 40 + years)

I have found that different brands of carbonation drops differ in weight, so it would help to weigh some first.

For 1 litre bottles I have used 3g for traditionally flatter ales, 6g for most other brews and 9g for some extremely carbonated brews. The 9g per litre does introduce a sharp acidic taste (carbonic acid) so is best reserved for the few styles of ale that call for this.

For the vast majority of beers 6g per litre should be perfect, in my case thats 2 drops per bottle.

Carbonation drops are an expensive way to carbonate but they are very quick and convenient. I usually have a very narrow window to get my bottling done before my autistic son takes a disasterous interest in what Daddys doing. To be fair, 22 plastic bottles do resemble skittles.

Latest posts

Back