Bottles or kegs or barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to beer gas Cymru this morning...he's cheap...13kg propane £27 if you have an empty.
I enquired about beer gas...£24 charge for cylinder,£1 a month rental,then £24 refill charge. Forgot to ask size... probably the larger one..he said they're very busy with beer gas!

Thanks for that Clint. I emailed their head office and they told me to just turn up at Rhostyllen and they’d sort me out. Same prices but plus vat. I’m going to call next week. I’ll let you know what size I get.
I’ll be starting a brew next week and am just trying to get my head around setting a keg system in a fridge. I’m sure it’s very easy when you’ve done it once. The major hiccup will be convincing the wife that the beer fridge should be in the dining room and not the spare bedroom.

Everything about brewing is daunting, to begin with. If you buy kegs, you won't look back. But they multiply! I started off with one 19L keg two years ago. I now have 3 plus a 23L keg and a 9.5L keg. They are a fantastic piece of kit. Best things I have bought for brewing.

Went to beer gas Cymru this morning...he's cheap...13kg propane £27 if you have an empty.
I enquired about beer gas...£24 charge for cylinder,£1 a month rental,then £24 refill charge. Forgot to ask size... probably the larger one..he said they're very busy with beer gas!
Try to avoid monthly rental if you can. A pound a month is hardly going to break the bank but it's a tax you don't need when a cylinder ought to last more than a year if you brew one at a time.

I called at Rhostyllen this morning Clint. 6kg bottle of CO2 for £20 and £24 for the bottle for a year, plus vat. Does that seem reasonable.
Anyway gonna do the first brew tomorrow them look for a fridge to convert. Looks like Curry’s have a new one for £100 that should do nicely.
Due to space the fridge will be kept in the conservator, she refused to have it in the dining room. Because of the extremes of temperature in a conservatory I was going to keep the gas bottle in the fridge. Is this ok?

keith

Do check the temp rating for the fridge. Different compressors for very hot climates. Conservatories can get very warm and a fridge makes heat as well. Consider a small freezer and an STC 1000 controller for it, often more economical. Search Keezer build. It's easy.
Beware covering your fridge or freezer in insulation if it has the heat exchangers built into the walls. Insulating the wall doesn't help this.
Also not good to have direct sun heating the fridge side and or the heat exchangers.
? Shed option.

Latest posts

Back