Bottling…

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
Straight forward question.

When bottling, do members add beer and then the sugar, or the other way round?
and would appreciate reasons please.
thanks.

I boil the prescribed amount of sugar (I use table sugar) with water or beer (about 500ml). This is so the sugar mixture will be easy to distribute into the beer. So when carbonation occurs, you get no flat and no over-carbed beer.
I put that mixture in the bottom of the bottling bucket and then siphon onto that. I place my siphon tubing along the curved edge of the bottling bucket at the bottom to promote a whirlpool. I have no objection to gently stirring the beer to ensure the sugar/water or beer mixture is evenly distributed.

Ah, now I like that idea! 👏🏻
Sounds much more efficient and a lot less faffy than priming each bottle individually 😁
So heat the beer and sugar and then let it cool before adding it to the bottling bucket?

Same. Only problem is estimating the volume correctly that will be transferred from the fermenter into the bottling bucket (for calculating grams of dextrose required).
Pretty easy with a clear fermenter like the All Rounder as you can see trub level, bit more difficult with a s/s fermenter...

Same. Only problem is estimating the volume correctly that will be transferred from the fermenter into the bottling bucket (for calculating grams of dextrose required).
Pretty easy with a clear fermenter like the All Rounder as you can see trub level, bit more difficult with a s/s fermenter...
You can do this by running your process
with water beforehand. In this way you can measure the volume losses at each step. By knowing what went into your ferment or and what you will lose on transfer to your bottling bucket, you can calculate the correct amount of sugar to add.

I'm the other guy! :D

I prefer to decide how many grams of sugar I'm going to put into each brew, and make up a sugar solution accordingly, and inject a measured amount of solution into each bottle. Which I do kinda two-thirds into filling the bottles, which get turned upside down after capping anyway, Either way, I'm sure the sugar mixes up fine, I think either what I do, or the guys suggest upthread, is fine, but I wouldn't want to go back to the bad old days fo just pouring half a teaspoonful of sugar (or whatever) through a funnel into each bottle.

I'm the other guy! :D

I prefer to decide how many grams of sugar I'm going to put into each brew, and make up a sugar solution accordingly, and inject a measured amount of solution into each bottle. Which I do kinda two-thirds into filling the bottles, which get turned upside down after capping anyway, Either way, I'm sure the sugar mixes up fine, I think either what I do, or the guys suggest upthread, is fine, but I wouldn't want to go back to the bad old days fo just pouring half a teaspoonful of sugar (or whatever) through a funnel into each bottle.
Stored upside down ?

I make up a priming and fining solution. I fine with gelatine so dissolve the required amount (usually about 6 grams for 22 litres) in hot boiled water and then dissolve into that solution the required amount of sugar (I use about 75 grams caster sugar for 22 litres). I then use a syringe to add the necessary amount of solution to each bottle after filling. After capping I just invert each bottle a couple of times to ensure it has distributed. This way I know each bottle has the correct amount and there is no need to siphon onto a bottling bucket before bottling.

Well I'm clearly the odd man out here, but I use those little sachets you often see in B & B type establishments or cafes. They weigh between 2.4g and 2.6 g. Just tear off the top and tip it in. No need for a funnel and that amount of sugar gives you a reasonable amount of carbonation in a 500ml bottle. Sometimes I add the sugar before the beer sometimes afterwards. It doesn't make any difference.
I used to do the batch syrup method, but found it too hit and miss with some bottles a little flat and others a bit too lively.

So just to throw in another way... I use a teaspoon to put dry dextrose into each bottle when they have been sanitised, then Syphon onto that with a bottling stick. I've never had any issues, and with as much practice as I have had I can put in a bit more or a bit less for different kinds of beers. I have a funnel and the bottles are in boxes so it's a piece of cake.
It's probably not a better way, it's simple and I've always done it, it works great for me. The other ways may be better for different reasons though.

Ah, now I like that idea! 👏🏻
Sounds much more efficient and a lot less faffy than priming each bottle individually 😁
So heat the beer and sugar and then let it cool before adding it to the bottling bucket?
I disagree, but each to his own. I decide how much sugar I want to put in and then use a teaspoon and folded piece of card to prime each bottle before filling with beer. I use the same teaspoon I've used for years and know to within half a gram or better whether to use a "mean" measure, a flat spoonful or a slightly heaped spoonful. When priming my 75 cl, I usually add 6g which is two round sugar cubes (I don't know if they have these in the UK). Using a bottling bucket, for me, is just another opportunity for contamination and/or oxidation- particularly as the syrup needs to be well stirred with the beer to make sure it disperses evenly. BUT, why not try them both and see which one gives you the better results.

I disagree, but each to his own. I decide how much sugar I want to put in and then use a teaspoon and folded piece of card to prime each bottle before filling with beer. I use the same teaspoon I've used for years and know to within half a gram or better whether to use a "mean" measure, a flat spoonful or a slightly heaped spoonful. When priming my 75 cl, I usually add 6g which is two round sugar cubes (I don't know if they have these in the UK). Using a bottling bucket, for me, is just another opportunity for contamination and/or oxidation- particularly as the syrup needs to be well stirred with the beer to make sure it disperses evenly. BUT, why not try them both and see which one gives you the better results.
I'm sure everyone one will have their own opinion on this. I went full circle from individually priming each bottle to batch priming and then back to individually priming. I prefer this as it's one less large bucket in my limited space and less taps and buckets to clean before and after. I also had issues with differing carbonation levels. I'm sure if you gently stir this would not be an issue. In the end I found adding sugar to each bottle was less effort. To be fair, I bottle 25/30 at a time only. If I made larger batches, perhaps I would reconsider.

Back