Bottling a 'dodgy' brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Alreet everyone.

I've got a Witbier brew which has a really off 'eggy' smell and taste, has had this for most of the fermentation, and I couldn't get it down past 1.020. I've re-pitched, played around with temp, stirred to get it going etc (not sure if these are related).

Anyway, I need to decide whether to bin it or bottle it - is there any point in doing this? I'm obviously a little worried about being ill if I drink it in a few weeks.

Ta

So, firstly I don't think the sulphurous smell is anything much to be concerned about.
Secondly, I don't understand why a Witbeer might stall in this weather - could you let us know what yeast you used, please?

Thirdly, about bottling in glass - I advise against, for a brew like a Witbeer at 1.020, not that I use glass myself to bottle. If you scrounge around for week trying to collect PET bottles (pop / cider etc) off friends, workmates, family etc, you lose nothing by bottling in those next weekend.

You could even try racking it over to a second FV now, it might give it a "push" and adding 50-100g of sugar at the same time won't do any harm.

Do not chuck it yet.

So, firstly I don't think the sulphurous smell is anything much to be concerned about.
Secondly, I don't understand why a Witbeer might stall in this weather - could you let us know what yeast you used, please?

Thirdly, about bottling in glass - I advise against, for a brew like a Witbeer at 1.020, not that I use glass myself to bottle. If you scrounge around for week trying to collect PET bottles (pop / cider etc) off friends, workmates, family etc, you lose nothing by bottling in those next weekend.

You could even try racking it over to a second FV now, it might give it a "push" and adding 50-100g of sugar at the same time won't do any harm.

Do not chuck it yet.

Used CML Kristelweizen yeast.

I have about 30 PET bottles from Malt Miller, plus some pop bottles laying around so that should be ok.

I currently don't have a second FV available, not until later next week when I bottle another brew. Should I let it sit or just bottle?

Sit or bottle?
If in doubt, leave it until it shifts from 1.020. I really advise against bottling at 1.020 for this sort of a beer.

OK, some more info I've just remembered after reading my notes on this brew. It is in it's secondary. You still think it needs another racking. if so would you go with another batch of yeast (this would be the third pitching)?

No, I would not rack it again. Nor would I add more yeast.

Have you checked your hydrometer?

Sorry, I just don't understand how it sticks at 1.020. It makes no sense.

Funny you should say that, I've literally just checked the hydrometer with 20c water and it came out at 1.004, suggesting the beer is at around 1.017/8. I'm thinking I might post stick it in PET 500ml and 2litre bottles and see what happens.

Same problem with my Weizen bottled it at 1019 last week and added sugar at the bottom end of the range suggested by Brewer’s Friend. They say 3.3 to 4.5 Volumes. Single ferment and now bottled for just over 3 days (in glass) hence this precaution! Big bin and bottles layered inside; with gorilla tub on top.

They will be served very chilled [emoji4]

I put the smell down to being my first use of my Fermentation Chamber which is a ‘new’ secondhand fridge but that was more a butyric acid smell.

IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back