The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
Okay so I've made a Triple 10% New England IPA BIAB as my second brew ever. I know I know I went in at the deep end but go big or go home! I just thought I would keep a record of any change in colour and oxidation on here and if you're interested just follow along.

Ask me any questions!

The picture is an undercarbed (4days 30mins in the freezer test PET bottle) sample of the beer and my god if it stays like this for 2 weeks with a little more carbonation I'm a happy boy!

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_175111917.jpg
    IMG_20210523_175111917.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 168
What is your method for bottling..
I know 100% oxygen made way into the bottles due dry hopping twice in bags and then during bottling despite using a bottling wand direct from the primary. However I'm experimenting with various methods of reducing oxygen exposure. I.e. filling the bottles to very little headspace, using SMB in flake form at either 0.01g or 0.03g 500ml bottle or in a solution adding either 1ml or 3ml of the solution (0.0072g/ml SMB) and a couple of bottles splashed around or purpose with no SMB. In fact this test bottle was a no SMB splash bottle and tasted great.

This batch is a full experimental mode and if get a couple of great bottles I'm happy! 👌

I have had mixed success bottling a Neipa. Probably the best is using pet bottle. Fill up as far as possible, squeeze out the remaining air space until the liquid is at the rim then screw the cap on.
What batch size did you brew

I have had mixed success bottling a Neipa. Probably the best is using pet bottle. Fill up as far as possible, squeeze out the remaining air space until the liquid is at the rim then screw the cap on.
What batch size did you brew
I did two PET bottle (1 of which is shown in that picture) to monitor carbonation and then I'll open one glass bottle check for carbonation 🤞it's right then I'll fridge them all at 2C until I drink them.

Batch size is 13L due to many many many many mishaps along the brewday 🤣.

No headspace may be effecting the carbing of the bottles! Darker but mostly because of the lighting, taste is there, but come on damn and carb!

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_184659214.jpg
    IMG_20210525_184659214.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 90
It will take as long to carb (at fermentation temperature....20C) as it did to finish fermenting, at least that was my experience. Then a few days at 8-10C before it’s ready.
Definitely however this is about to track it all! I'm happy to crack a few early to show the progress! This one was an 1ml SMB solution bottle no carbonation whatsoever however I'm thinking of lifting the condition temp to 22c.

Day 10, 1 day in the fridge. This bottle was a 0.01g dry SMB bottle. Again sorry, I'm ***** at taking photos! More Carbonation prickliness on the tongue but no hiss and head formation. Colour hasn't changed since my last one IMO. Taste is amazing smell is subtle but amazing I'm hoping this bad boy carbs nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_201347950.jpg
    IMG_20210529_201347950.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 94
More true to the colour. 10% beers **** me up....such a lightweight.

Attachments

• IMG-20210529-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20210529-WA0022.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 90
So it has been 15 days since bottling, however I put this in the fridge yesterday (14 days) for my friend to have a sample in the sun. This is the second (and last) PET bottle I pulled but the colour looks alright. This is a 3ml solution of SMB (0.0075g/ml) bottle which was crushed to fill to the top but also this one undertook pouring from one bottle to another at the end of bottling (last bottle) as I decide I wanted a pet bottle. I won't be able to catch a poured version of this but wait until Saturday for another as I'll throw a bottle in the fridge on Friday.

I know I know UV will skunk this in a clear plastic bottle but I wanted a natural light photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_172527218_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210602_172527218_HDR.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210602_172557558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210602_172557558_HDR.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
I'm surrounded by lightweights wink... where's @Hazelwood Brewery for support when you need him :laugh8: - I'm missing Stigman too, Mr Handsome puts in a good effort as well athumb..

I’m here but a bit tied up with a tripel brew-day (brewing three beers, not 1 Belgian). I serve my 10% in pints, doesn’t everyone? ;)

Okay I'm a little sad, not through oxidation but through a loss of smell and little loss of flavour...no longer amazing more like really good. However I think I served it too cold (6C) as it warmed it got better. This bottle was 17 days 1 day in the fridge. 1ml SMB (0.0075g/ML).

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_224927789.jpg
    IMG_20210605_224927789.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 58
Hello Oxidation Fans 🤣,

This is a 0.01g SMB bottle day 20 conditioned and 1 day in the fridge. We are so close on the carbonation front (the picture was about 1 min after pouring). Couple more days and I think we are golden!

I think the way I've bottled these (to the top ~3-7mm) means when you pour it, it forms a head in a different way. There is no hiss at all when opening the bottles but once poured the bubbles cloud the drink like Guinness nitrogen does until they slowly reach the top. I've got a feeling the lack of headspace creates more drastic CO2 absorption meaning there is little pressure when opening the bottles. Just my 2 cent.

Well let's get into it! So I was wrong the other day I didn't allow it to warm enough and claimed flavour and aroma loss. So after a day in the fridge at 4C I then took it out left it to heat to 10C and poured and there I got a burst of hops, sweetness and alcohol...maybe a bit of vanilla. The flavour is also there despite changing in profile to being what I can describe as being more rounded (I think I slightly preferred it on day 5). However after thinking about it, it's not oxidation, I was trying green beer at day 5 and I've been comparing it since. I am happy with this beer considering everything with NEIPA's being delicate and not having the necessary kit, being my second brew, it taking an ages to carb and that's before the list of brewday problems 🤦🏻‍♂️. The colour is bright still...happy days with this being day 20 at 23-23.3C conditioning.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_194004613_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210608_194004613_HDR.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
From a post on Aussie Home Brewer.

Just to add my 2 cents... I bottled a session neipa 6 weeks ago (verdant yeast, 25% malted wheat, dry hop 8g/l) and tried a few different techniques. Results in photo below from left to right are 1) standard head space, 2) standard headspace with SMB, 3) only 1mm or so headspace.
Colour change is obvious. In a semi-blind test I could easily identify the no headspace beer, other two I couldn’t tell apart.
Will be bottling with no headspace (and no SMB addition) for hoppy beers from now on.
1623188062982.png

But a little head space will be needed to account for expansion.

From a post on Aussie Home Brewer.

Just to add my 2 cents... I bottled a session neipa 6 weeks ago (verdant yeast, 25% malted wheat, dry hop 8g/l) and tried a few different techniques. Results in photo below from left to right are 1) standard head space, 2) standard headspace with SMB, 3) only 1mm or so headspace.
Colour change is obvious. In a semi-blind test I could easily identify the no headspace beer, other two I couldn’t tell apart.
Will be bottling with no headspace (and no SMB addition) for hoppy beers from now on.
View attachment 48732
But a little head space will be needed to account for expansion.
This is very interesting. 👍 I didn't actually include a regular headspace bottle in my experiment. It'll interesting to see after 6 weeks how the No SMB bottle compares to the various quantity and delivery method SMB bottles.

May I ask what quantity of SMB in grams you used per litre? And how you administered it? (I.e. in a solute to each bottle, in dry form into each bottle or into a bottling bucket).

Thanks in advance 👌

This is very interesting. 👍 I didn't actually include a regular headspace bottle in my experiment. It'll interesting to see after 6 weeks how the No SMB bottle compares to the various quantity and delivery method SMB bottles.

May I ask what quantity of SMB in grams you used per litre? And how you administered it? (I.e. in a solute to each bottle, in dry form into each bottle or into a bottling bucket).

Thanks in advance 👌
No idea as I said it was a post off AHB, he did mention that the one with SMB gave of a slight sulpher taste.

Latest posts

Back