Bottling and Packaging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindnessAndBeer

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this -

So Im starting my next beer soon - A saison using brettanamyces.
Now, in the past I have been bottling in 330ml amber bottles but this is time consuming and I usually end up consuming 2 or sharing a handful round so Ive decided to start bottling in larger bottles ( http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Champagne-Bottles-75cl.html#.VLce_WSsUvF ).
Im looking at using 750ml green champagne bottles - uh oh! I know green glass is a no-no but I was thinking possibly wrapping them individually brown paper and only to be un-wrapped when consumed? Im assuming this will block out any UV light?
Also - 29mm is the standard crown cap size yeah? I will be able to crown cap those bottles?

You can buy a 29mm "bell" (the bit that does the business) for most bench cappers and I'm pretty sure I've seen a two-lever capper that has interchangeable bells too.

Are you sure 750ml bottles are a good idea though? If you have sediment at the bottom it will be disturbed if you interrupt the pouring, so unless you have very big glasses or are decanting into a large jug then you might be better off with 500ml bottles - just about perfect for filling a pint glass, with room for a decent head.

I use green bottles and have had no problems with the beer in them. Just don't store in direct sunlight. If you're really paranoid, keep them in a box or crate and put a sheet of cardboard or something over the top. Problem (if there is one) solved.

I have a couple of green bottles and even a couple of clear ones!! (most of my bottles are brown) clear ones are actually good after you bottled to see how it is clearing. I keep them in the kitchen with a tea towel over them when carbing and after that they go in the garage.

Latest posts

Back