Bottling and Priming 3 questions please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learned my lesson with the cheap Chinese tat. Still trying to use a handheld digital thermometer on my last brew. It is as responsive as .... well God knows but it takes an age to tell you the right temperature and then I am beginning not to trust it...

Reasonable quality hand-held 'K' type digital thermometers, were once bargain priced on Ebay and Amazon but lately the price has shot up. You could get a thermometer plus a 'K' type s/s thermocouple probe for under £20. They are usually supplied with a bare-wire probes but these are no good for liquids - hence the need to buy seperately, a s/s probe for about £5. Avoid cheapo brand TM-902C, mine had display issues.

I Use supplied yeast with brew kit.
I Take 2 or 3 hydro readings on separate days before bottling to ensure fermentation has finished.
Mix a dex solution, cool and put into bottom of bottling bucket.
Put filter bag over top and into bottling bucket. (Belt and braces to catch any trub / rogue hops etc)
Set syphon to correct depth just above trub in FV.
Draw liquid into bottling bucket so it mixes with dex solution.
Remove filter bag.
Attach bottling wand to bottling bucket tap.
Fill bottles, approx 43 per 23 litre brew.
Cap bottles (laborious), put bottles in crates and move crates to warm place for 2 weeks before transferring crates to cool storage.

Job done. No mess, no cold crashing, no tilting buckets, no shaking bottles, very little sediment on clearing, consistent carbing on each bottle opened.

Works for me.
Great guide.Straight forward,thanks Mavroz. I'll be using granulated sugar but I take it the same procedure will apply.cheers

Latest posts

Back