Bottling Dangers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpitdarn

Regular.
Reaction score
Had to happen sometime I suppose, lucky there was no injury. The bottle was a Newcastle brown ale bottle. Are these kind of breakages common? first time it's happend to me.

Broken top.jpg

Yes, it is common with a hand capper.

Bench cappers take a lot of this risk out of bottling.

Also check your bottles for damage, cracks or knocks to the glass, especially if they are from pub recycling bins as they do tend to get thrown into the bins and banged about.

Get rid they all do this especially as they get used. Invest in a bench capper they will last a lot longer and you will forever be buying replacements of those types also you will be able to cap virtually all bottles including wychwood types etc

Get rid they all do this especially as they get used. Invest in a bench capper they will last a lot longer and you will forever be buying replacements of those types also you will be able to cap virtually all bottles including wychwood types etc
I think you are right, I have been uncomfortable using this. I did have a bench capper before I sold all my brewing kit a few short years ago, thought I'd never come back to home brewing.

I've had two of those lever cappers and never broke a bottle with either of them. I'd still go with the forum advise though and replace it as eventually they always fail

It is more common with bottles with a very short collar. You will feel the capper sliding around a bit and one side of the cap being pressed before the other side. Although the bottle you broke seems to have a long collar. Think I have ever only broken one long collar bottle in the last 5 years, a miller bottle.

Latest posts

Back