Bottling from keg - help please!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will B

Reaction score
I am very keen to bottle some of my (delicious tasting) Father Hook's Best Bitter. What is the simplest and cheapest way I can transfer the beer from the pressure barrel to glass bottles (to be capped)? Is there a way to maintain pressure in the bottle without loads of fancy equipment? I have seen talk about turning down the pressure in the barrel to a certain amount but I have a very basic Ballihoo keg with no numbers or measurements of pressure? Do I need a bottle wand? Any easy basic tips recommended - I am not an expert or good with the technical language! I was simply going to test the PSI and if it was stable, fill the bottles with a funnel leaving air at the top and then cap? Would this work or will I have bottles bombs? Any help gratefully received...thank you in advance, Will

Simple and cheap would be to get a bottle filling device from Wilko's (it's a tube that fits on your tap), add a teaspoon of sugar to the bottle and fill under reduced pressure from the barrel.

Thank you! To reduce the pressure do I simply turn the cog at the top of the keg? Do I need to turn it all the way? And if I do then can I re-pressurise the barrel afterwards for any beer left inside? I do not necessarily want to bottle all at the same time....thank you!

Back