Bottling loosing carbonation

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Leemi1982

Reaction score
Hi I’ve recently gone from screw on plastic bottles to glass swing top bottles. I have the correct swing top bottles for beer however since using swing top I must be loosing carbonation, there is carbonation in them but not as good as using screw on tops..

just wondering if I could take the swing tops off the bottles and try capping them instead next time, will caps fit on those glass bottles

Reaction score
Have u tried replacing the rubber washers on the swing tops
72590DBC-81E4-4EA0-9CCA-A40BCF96BF8F.png

Dutto

Dutto
Reaction score
No as was first time I used them from new

Aha! That’s probably the answer!

I suggest that you remove the washer and check:
  1. That it’s not perished. (If it is then it has to be replaced. See above.)
  2. There is no “moulding ridge” on the flip-top. (If there is, then it will require shaving off with a very sharp knife. It is also possible to purchase replacements.)
  3. Check that the flip-top cap fits properly; it should take quite a bit of pressure to close the flip-top. (In some cases, the maker wants to protect his customers and sets the flip-tops so that they will release at a lower pressure. In most cases, this is achieved by fitting a thinner washer.)
Enjoy.
:hat:

Leemi1982

Reaction score
Hi just looked at the seals think that might be the problem the seals seem all most hard compared ones I looked at on you tube, I’ve just ordered a few replacement swing tops to compare

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I read some reviews of swing tops (can't remember which ones unfortunately). The reviewer said that the ones he had ordered lose pressure (like yours) and he bottled a single batch using both the new and existing bottles. His existing swing tops held pressure fine. But the new ones didn't.

Not a lot of help, except to say that some obviously don't hold pressure well. Which ones did you buy?

alfajerry

Reaction score
I bought loads of swingtops last year, from two sellers.
One lot is noticeably harder to close than the other, and I have had some flat beers from the easier to close ones.
The bottles look identical, but...

Leemi1982

Reaction score
New replacement swing bottle tops arrived today, the seal looks a lot better on them, the ones the bottle came with were almost like plastic rather than rubber, hopefully this will sort it.

Latest posts