Bottling wands..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
My last bottling session had a bit of drama. The little white collar thingy that secures the wand to the tap split with obvious results...this has happened twice now. On the day I searched through my various bits of tubing and found the only one I could get to fit with a bit of hot water was from my old auto syphon..a bit if a bodge but rescued it.
I need some flexible tubing to make a connector...I/d probably around 6mm.
On the subject of bottling....has anyone used/got a stainless bottler?

Hello all
My last bottling session had a bit of drama. The little white collar thingy that secures the wand to the tap split with obvious results...this has happened twice now. On the day I searched through my various bits of tubing and found the only one I could get to fit with a bit of hot water was from my old auto syphon..a bit if a bodge but rescued it.
I need some flexible tubing to make a connector...I/d probably around 6mm.
I bought a stainless bottler as I saw one very cheap, however never used it after someone pointed out it would leave a much larger headspace in the bottle. They seem to be quite a bit wider than the plastic ones.

Yes I used one for a bit. As mentioned by Ben034 there was more headspace in the bottle but this was never really an issue. Another issue I found was it was really difficult to get a siphon going. I don't know if this is a unique situation to my specific bottling wand and setup, but when I filled a bottle beer would go through the bottling wand, then disappear back into the FV when I took the bottle off. I bottle straight from the FV, never had this issue with a plastic wand.

I've gone back to plastic wands now. I think a good fix would be either a new bottling wand or use some silicone tubing to connect the wand to the tap, which I think was your work around anyway?

Yeah...I got two plastic wands...both broke at the same point.
I think I'll stay with them for now...just need a bit of flexi tube as that pvc stuff is a pig to get off. MM out of stock...plus I don't need a meter...I'll have a rummage...

I got a stainless one the other day as although my plastic one functions great i cant take it apart to clean all the little bits where as the stainless one you can take it apart. It's definately fatter so wondered about the headspace. Funny enough I had an absolute pain in the **** trying to get the syphon going so in the end used my plastic one. Strange. I will try hooking it up to a spigot on the bottling bucket next time and see how it goes.

Yeah...I got two plastic wands...both broke at the same point.
I think I'll stay with them for now...just need a bit of flexi tube as that pvc stuff is a pig to get off. MM out of stock...plus I don't need a meter...I'll have a rummage...

Mine split on Sunday after the tube popped out on the last bottling session I think I pushed too hard to make sure it was in... i ended up using packing tape around the split then wrapped folded kitchen towel around it for an leakages. It was a very temporary measure but it worked.

I was looking at a stainless one but didn't realise they were bigger

Latest posts

Back