bottling wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
I have a youngs’ wine kit on the go at the moment (5 Gallon), but currently have no wine bottles at the moment. I’m wondering if it is possible to bottle in 500ml beer bottles and seal with crown caps?

It might not please the purists, but yes, as long as your wine has been stabilised there's no reason why you shouldn't use beer bottles and crown caps.

Mrs. Mole had some cider which came in quite fancy, tall bottles (Aspalls?) and I have been known to re-use those for wines.

Cheers, will use the beer bottles for now. Will upgrade to wine bottles though when the folks polish off there shop bought products. Then think i will make a premimum kit

As well as asking your local pubs, do you have a doorstep recycling collection?

If so, ask your neighbours if they mind you rummaging through their bottle tub on collection day. I pick out a few wine bottles most Monday mornings, and every now and then I might give a full bottle in return. After a while you can start to get choosy, one of my neighbours is brand loyal so I only select matching bottles whose labels I know will soak off easily.

For easyness, keep an eye out for screw top wine bottles aswell. ;)

Latest posts

Back