Bottling with Star San

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad I switched to this stuff! It's knocked ages off each bottling day and I everything carbonates better.......don't fear the foam indeed! :)

Nobbyipa said:
what i do is wash out thoroughly the bottles then spray with star san[

dont fear the foam

then into the bottling tree
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/ke8h.jpg/]
ke8h.jpg
[/URL]

then fill

[youtube:66rqp05t]UcPN9jMeLGI[/youtube:66rqp05t]

then after spraying the capper with star san put the caps on which are soaking in star san
[youtube:66rqp05t]W85YvbE7Jzo[/youtube:66rqp05t]
i use De-ionised water and a trigger spray
De ionised water at asda reduced to a quid for 2.5 litres
asda petrol station is 19p more

asdas own anti bacterial cleaner for £1.50
or 2 for 2 quid i bought 2!
which are ultra clear and great trigger spray
the original anti bacterial cleaner is easily rinsed away with no aroma whatsoever leaving a great trigger spray
[/u
you can't beat it

:thumb:

A bottle rinser makes it even quicker and easier. The thing you put some Starsan in and push the bottle onto to squirt the Starsan into the bottle. Great investment, you need minimal starsan too.

I have a bottle rinser, and a bottle tree. Then I realised that neither one is optimal for Grolsch bottles with swing tops, which is mostly what I use.

Full submersion in 20L of StarSan may be a little messy/wet, but it seems to have yielded a 100% success rate so far. I debated making better use of the bottle rinser, but since I'd still have to attend to the caps and washers, a bath of StarSan it is. Blow messing around with sprays, a litre of the stuff is affordable enough and I used maybe 90ml of StarSan on three 20L batches last season. By the bucketload is the way to go, all I need is a bigger bucket. :-)

Also worth noting... I don't buy deionised water (or I haven't previously), but I do normally treat London tap water (hard) with carbonate reducing solution before making up the StarSan.

marksa222 said:
piddledribble said:
Last 2 brews I've tried batch priming the sugar and I must say it was much faster, and the beers seemed to carbonate quicker...
I will be doing this in future. Only the one FV just now.
Btw has anyone else had trouble capping wychwood bottles? I had some from Hobgoblin that were a pain in the **** this time and last. I thought I had a dodgy capper but it's fine with everything else.

YES! with my fat hands i managed to shatter a hobgoblin bottle. I now check the necks of all bottles and bin any that dont work well with my capper.

Use bottling bucket for the best results. Weight your sugar and mix it with 2 dl of water for 19 liters (5 galons). Boil it 15 minutes, cool and put it in to the bottling bucket. Then rack beer from fermentor into the bucket. Mix well but but gently to avoid introducing to much of oxygen. Then bottle. Bottling tree is good addition.

Latest posts

Back